Shrimp with Snow Peas and Edamame

Cover recipe- Food Network Magazine, Shrimp with Snow Peas and Edamame: March 2010

Fast, easy, fresh, healthy… this cover caught my eye immediately!  A nice cover to get us thinking of spring, Food Network Magazine features “11,375″ Stir-Fries:  Design Your Favorite Stir Fry in Five Easy Steps.  Their Mix & Match Guide shows you how to 1.  Pick a Protein, 2.  Marinate, 3.  Choose Vegetables, 4.  Choose a Sauce, and 5.  Stir Fry.  Nice idea!  Stir Fries are pretty simple to put together in general, but it’s helpful to have five sauce ideas at hand.  Featured stir-fries in this issue include Sweet & Sour Chicken, Beef with Broccoli, Tofu with Mushrooms & Peas, Spicy Pork w/ Spinach & Tomatoes and of course the cover recipe:  Shrimp with Snow Peas and Edamame.  They all look delicious.

Read my notes below to see what I though of this recipe.

Shrimp with Snow Peas and Edamame

1 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar

ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
more sesame or vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 2 Tbsp. minced ginger
2 minced scallions
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar

GARNISHES (optional):
sliced scallions
peanuts
sesame seeds
sliced jalapeño
cilantro

1.  Place shrimp in a bowl and toss with egg white, 1 Tbsp. rice wine (or sherry) and 1 Tbsp. cornstarch.  Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
2.  Mix sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
3.  Drain excess marinade from the shrimp.  Place shrimp, peas & edamame, and sauce near the stove.
4.  Heat 1/4-inch peanut or vegetable oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat.  Add shrimp; slowly stir until almost opaque, 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Transfer to a plate; discard the oil and wipe out the pan.
5.  Heat pan over high heat, 1 to 2 minutes.  Add 2 Tbsp. oil, then 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 to 2 Tbsp. minced ginger, 2 minced scallions and a pinch each of salt & sugar; stir fry about 30 seconds.  Add the vegetables and stir-fry until crisp-tender.
6.  Add the shrimp and sauce and stir until the sauce is thick and the vegetables and shrimp are cooked through, about 3 minutes.  Thin with chicken broth, if needed.  Garnish with desired garnishes.

*Chinese Rice Wine isn't something I have around the house so I opted for the Sherry.
*Scratch what I said above about this recipe being "healthy."  There's a whole lot of oil indicated in the recipe but I suppose that's the whole idea of a stir fry, right?  I simply couldn't use the 1/4-inch oil to stir fry the shrimp.  I just gave the pan one swoosh of oil and it worked just fine.
*The key to a good stir fry is making sure the oil is hot enough to cook the food quickly.
*I couldn't find anywhere in the recipe where it said how many this recipe served.  I'm guessing "4."
*I served the stir-fry over brown rice, and I used sesame seeds and scallions for my garnish.

Source:
  Food Network Magazine, March 2010

We enjoyed the meal. I’m not really sure this recipe would qualify for “Super Fast,” which is what they advertise on the cover.  It’s super-fast if you have all of the ingredients at hand before stir-frying, but it took some time to get all the parts together.

Yes.  It’s the perfect attention-grabber for a spring cover, and it made a delicious dinner.  We enjoyed the recipe a lot, and I’m anxious to try some of the other combinations mentioned in the Mix & Match Guide.

17 Responses to “Nest Egg”

Sagan — March 10, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

Mmmm I LOVE eggy in a basket! Or nest egg :) I think this recipe has about a dozen different names. I’d forgotten all about it until this post- I always eat a poached egg on toast but this is equally delicious and fun! I also like to add the cut-out circle to the pan along with the other bread and have that, toasted, with a little butter. Yummy!

Maria — March 10, 2010 @ 1:25 pm

Hubs loves these, yes, he is a kid at heart:) Glad you gave it an A-OK:)

Kasey — March 10, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

I’ve always called it ‘egg in a whole.’–my husband loves to make it–esp. when we have homemade bread on hand :) The thick, crusty kind makes the best!

Judy — March 10, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

Have been eating these my whole life. We called them “egg in a nest” or a “toad in a whole” not sure where that one came from…

gina — March 10, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

i love “toad-in-the-hole!” i think it came about as a way to keep the eggs from spreading too much? the bread makes a nice container, similar to the little egg rings they have nowadays.

noble pig — March 10, 2010 @ 3:02 pm

I make these all the time and love them!

LilSis — March 10, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

I started making these when my son was around two years old. I still do make them occasionally. I love them! But, I also LOVE just about any kind of breakfast food. When I saw the cover of Food Network, it made me want to make them again. For some reason, we always called them “toad in the hole.”

Cheryl — March 10, 2010 @ 8:18 pm

When my mother made these she also called them “toad in a hole”. I made them for my girls and they make them for their kids. Fun recipe.

Erin @ One Particular Kitchen — March 10, 2010 @ 9:24 pm

I make this all the time! My mama made them and I still love them. I actually cook both sides of the bread because I can’t handle any hint of runny yolks. So good!

Jenni — March 10, 2010 @ 10:42 pm

I love these! I never had them until I made them as an adult, but I love them. I mix it up a bit and on occasion will scramble the eggs first and add some cinnamon or vanilla to the egg mixture at times as well. This is a fun easy breakfast!

Tracey — March 11, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

I’ve never made this either, but when my issue of FN magazine came in recently it looked so yummy! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Leah — March 11, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

My kids call these “egg-in-a-toast”, or” heart-shaped eggs”; it depends on the cookie cutter I use. :-)

Louise — March 13, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

“Toad in a hole” here too although, I’m not quite sure why. I’ll have to investigate further. I’ve done this French Toast Style. It’s yummy that way too!!! Thanks for sharing, Lori…

Rebecca — March 15, 2010 @ 5:04 am

Humpty Dumpty Eggs! When my mom made this for me as a child, we always used to recite the Humpty-Dumpty- Sat on a Wall nursery rhyme, and when Humpty fell down- I’d break the egg yolk…..

Sue — March 27, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

I blogged about the exact same thing the other day… it’s the only way I can make a fried egg! (Your pic turned out much better than mine… haha).

Great idea for a blog! I love it :)

Richard — March 29, 2010 @ 8:58 pm

Okay well i think to get the yolk to show you need fresher eggs!!

As for toad in the hole i can say with some authority that is a dish of pancake (yorkshire pudding) batter with sausages cooked in.

This confusion is similar but more sever than the one that says shepherds pie is made with beef!!

Sheryl G. — May 17, 2010 @ 11:26 am

I tried this recipe last week – my first “nest” was a little burnt because the pan was too hot. But the ones I did after, turned out perfect. I buttered both sides of the bread before putting it in the pan. May have to try the French Toast style or scramble the egg first – great ideas! I served this with Turkey bacon on the side. Will definitely do this again with my kids. And the holes did not go to waste – I buttered both sides and toasted them for my two year old. She loved them!