Nest Egg

Cover recipe- Food Network Magazine, Nest Egg: April 2010

April’s Food Network Magazine features EGGS:  50 fun ideas for breakfast, lunch & dinner.  In typical Food Network magazine format, there’s a little insert in the magazine that contains 50 simple ideas for serving up eggs.  Included are such things as Fried Eggwich, Huevos Rancheros, Omelets, Scrambles, Pickled Eggs, Salads, and Tea Eggs.  Instructions for each “recipe” are given in a handful of sentences, which makes them seem easy and approachable.

Apparently, this “Nest Egg” breakfast has been around for quite some time.  I had never had one before today.  My own Mother simply poached an egg and placed it on top of toasted bread.  That was the closest I ever got to the “Nested Egg.”  In this recipe, you cut a round patch out of the middle of the bread, then toast the bread in a hot buttered skillet before cracking the egg and placing it in the hole.  Pretty simple.  I find myself wondering though how this recipe ever came together.  Who would ever think of cutting a hole in the bread to place an egg in there.  Seems like a strange way to go about serving up eggs and toast.  That being said, I really enjoyed this breakfast.  It probably helped that I used real butter for toasting my bread.  See my notes below for more…

Nest Egg

Yield: 1 serving

1 slice of bread
butter
1 egg
salt and pepper
bacon, optional

Cut a round out of a slice of bread; toast the bread in a nonstick skillet with butter.  Crack an egg into the hole, add salt and pepper, cover and cook until the white sets.  Serve with bacon.

*I tried out two different sizes of round biscuit cutters:  2 inches and 2 3/4 inches.  When I made this recipe with the smaller cutter, the egg didn't seem to cook very quickly, resulting in the bread being more toasted on the bottom than I liked.  When I used the larger cutter, the egg was more spread out and the egg cooked more evenly- therefore my bread was toasted up just right.
*It's important to keep the lid sealed tight to keep the heat in so the egg will cook entirely.  I had a glass lid, which made spying on the egg much easier.  I'm not sure what you do if you have a metal lid!
*Keep the heat fairly low so your bread doesn't burn.

Source:  Food Network Magazine, April 2010

It was a fun breakfast, and everyone liked it, of course. I made the recipe twice, and I couldn’t get my egg to turn out nice and sunny side up with the egg yolk showing brightly like they did in the picture.  I’d love to know how they did that.

Yes!  I thought it was a fun egg recipe for Easter month, and it’s a good one to try for those of us who never have.

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/clients/client0/web83/web/wp-content/themes/culinarycovers/single.php on line 72

12 Responses to “Shrimp with Snow Peas and Edamame”

VeggieGirl — February 18, 2010 @ 8:23 am

Love Food Network magazine! :)

Michelle — February 18, 2010 @ 8:23 am

I got a Food Network Magazine subscription for Hanukkah and I’ve really been enjoying it! Their recipes are so easy to make and look so vibrant! I’m loving this dish and can’t wait to try it out myself!

Margaret — February 18, 2010 @ 8:26 am

Been looking at that one myself. Glad to hear it is a good one. Looks beautiful.

Katie — February 18, 2010 @ 8:38 am

I’m always amazed that your photos consistently look better than the magazines’ photos! This looks delicious!

Deborah Mele — February 18, 2010 @ 8:45 am

Thanks Lori! I just bought this magazine and was wondering how that cover recipe would work out. Nice to know it is worth trying!

Tracey — February 18, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

This recipe caught my eye when my issue of Food Network magazine came this month. Thanks for testing it out – I’ll definitely make it soon!

Phoo-D — February 18, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

This sounds terrific! I purchased a package of snow peas on a whim and have been wondering what to make with them. I love the idea of a shrimp and edamame stir fry.

David A. — February 18, 2010 @ 2:16 pm

Hey Lori, thanks for turning us on to this recipe. We at Seapoint Farms distribute edamame across the country and always love reading about how people are using it to cook!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — February 18, 2010 @ 8:11 pm

I rarely read Food Network magazine, but this does look like a great dish. Love your picture… it’s beautiful!

LilSis — February 18, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

I wanted to make this recipe right when I saw the cover! It’s good to know that it’s worth making even if it’s not as quick and easy as they suggest.

Your photo is awesome! IMHO, better than Food Network’s photo!

ppark — February 20, 2010 @ 9:20 am

I bought the magazine earlier this week, and I tried this recipe also. I am not sure that I would call it “quick” either, because you have to marinate the protein for 1 hour. To me, quick is something I can have ready 30 minutes after I walk in the door. That being said, I put the protein in the marinade, and only marinated long enough to assemble/chop the rest of the ingredients, and that took about 30 minutes. It turned out well, and I am looking forward to trying some more combos. The best part to me was the sauce ideas.

Maria — February 23, 2010 @ 11:45 am

I love the colors in this dish!