Grilled Turkey Burgers with Cheddar and Smoky Aioli

Cover recipe- Bon Appetit, Grilled Turkey Burgers with Cheddar and Smoky Aioli: August 2009

I love this cover of Bon Appetit… just a simple photograph of this really delicious-looking burger, labeled with the title of being The Ultimate Turkey Burger.  That’s a pretty big title to live up to, right?  This recipe was placed into a section of the magazine called, “fast easy fresh,” quick dishes for every-night cooking from the Bon Appetit test kitchen.

I’ve tried so many different burger recipes, and many of them have been turkey burgers.  I was pretty excited to try this “ultimate” version- Turkey Burgers with Cheddar and Smoky Aioli– to see if it was the real deal.   A simple Moroccan-spiced aioli is mixed in with the ground turkey to keep the burgers moist and give them tons of flavor.  A Healthy Bites tip shares that cumin seeds (in the turkey burger’s aioli) are a good source of iron and magnesium. Research has also shown that they aid digestion.  See my notes below to see if my family thought this burger lived up to its promise of being “ultimate.”

Grilled Turkey Burgers with Cheddar & Smoky Aioli

1 large or 2 small red bell peppers, quartered
4 slices white cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
4 sesame-seed hamburger buns
arugula
pickle wedges
corn chips

1.  Toast cumin seeds and coriander seeds in small skillet over medium-high heat until aromatic and slightly darker in color, shaking skillet often, about 1 1/2 minutes. Cool. Finely grind toasted seeds in spice grinder or in mortar with pestle. Whisk mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, smoked paprika, garlic, and ground spices in small bowl. Season aioli to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Aioli can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
Place turkey in medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons aioli; mix gently. Using damp hands, divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, then form each into scant 3/4-inch-thick patty, about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Using thumb, make small indentation in center of each burger. DO AHEAD Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Sprinkle burgers with salt and pepper. Brush onion slices and bell pepper pieces with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill onions and bell peppers until soft and charred, about 4 minutes per side.
4.  Grill turkey burgers 5 minutes. Turn over; grill until almost cooked through, about 4 minutes. Top each burger with 1 cheese slice and grill until meat is cooked through and cheese melts, about 1 minute longer. Place 1 turkey burger on each of 4 bun bottoms. Arrange grilled red pepper pieces, then grilled red onion slices over. Top each with dollop of aioli and some arugula. Cover burgers with bun tops and serve with pickle wedges and corn chips.

*I don't have a spice grinder, but a mortar and pestle worked just fine in grinding the seeds.
*Dark meat turkey was nowhere to be found in my market.  I went with Jennie-O ground turkey, but I didn't get the leanest kind.
*I opted for sharp white cheddar cheese.
*One pound of ground turkey was a little bit skimpy for this recipe.  I would have liked my burgers to be more substantial.  I'd probably toss in more ground turkey next time.

Serving size: 1 burger
Calories per serving: 657
Fat per serving: 45g
Saturated Fat per serving: 10g
Fiber per serving: 2g
Protein per serving: 36g
Cholesterol per serving: 109mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 24g

Source:  Bon Appetit, August 2009

I loved everything about this burger… from the grilled vegetables and spicy arugula to the smoky aoili and the spices in the burger too… so good. I couldn’t stop tasting the aioli… it was delicious! Was it the “Ultimate” turkey burger?  Definitely, maybe.

Yes!  What a wonderful recipe to celebrate the summer season.  It was refreshing to see a burger with a bit of alternative spice incorporated into the sauce, and the addition of grilled veggies made it phenomenal.

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/clients/client0/web83/web/wp-content/themes/culinarycovers/single.php on line 72

23 Responses to “Lime & Blackberry Italian Meringue Pie”

Tieghan — August 5, 2013 @ 8:01 am

Wow, that meringue looks perfect!! This whole pie looks perfect. Just wow!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — August 5, 2013 @ 12:18 pm

I have this issue of BA and always wanted to make the pie! It looks gorgeous!

Joanne Eats Well With Others | Lime & Blackberry Italian Meringue Pie — August 6, 2013 @ 5:46 am

[…] If you’re looking for a pie that will make you stop dead in your tracks, jaw agape, and just say “WOW”. Then this is it. Check out my post about it over at Culinary Covers! […]

Candice — August 6, 2013 @ 7:06 am

Why isn’t it always blackberry season? I’ve never seen a pie like this but I can just imagine someone bringing it out after dinner and my heart bursting.

Dawn — August 6, 2013 @ 7:26 am

In the recipe for the blackberry wine reduction… it reads a fruity red wine… Would that be like a sangria??? I just don’t want to start this pie and reduce down a wine that may give off the wrong flavor… I ask only because we are adding more sugar and the blackberries on top of the reduced fruity red wine…I realize that this is a sweet component to counteract the tart lime curd. thank you

• Joanne Bruno replied: — August 6th, 2013 @ 7:29 am

Hi Dawn! I used a cabernet sauvignon but a shiraz might be nice also! I wouldn’t use sangria itself because it does have added sugar.

sandra — August 6, 2013 @ 7:29 am

Fabulous treat. And so inspiring.

Dawn — August 6, 2013 @ 7:45 am

Thank you so much. I thought sangria may be too sweet, but because it was being used in a sweet application – it kinda thru me. I agree Shiraz would be nice with the blackberries. Thank you for clearing that up. The fruity description kinda implies a sweeter wine – to me. Love your blog. I read it all the time

Dan from Platter Talk — August 6, 2013 @ 8:21 am

What a knockout dessert/treat t his is! It’s always good to find more recipes that use blackberries, especially this time of year – it’s their time to shine! Great post!

Lynn — August 6, 2013 @ 10:01 am

I wish I could snap my fingers and a slice of that would magically appear. It looks delicious.

Faith — August 6, 2013 @ 10:21 am

I am so happy you made this! I’ve been dying to ever since I saw it a couple years ago! It’s absolutely gorgeous…and some things (especially desserts ;) ) are definitely worth the extra work. This is a real show-stopper!

Zainab @ Blahnik Baker — August 6, 2013 @ 10:26 am

This is STUNNING!!

Lindsey Johnson — August 6, 2013 @ 11:51 am

I’ve had this bookmarked since then too! Looks fabulous, Joanne! I just need to go pick some fresh blackberries. They’re finally in season where I live.

Jennifer | Bake or Break — August 6, 2013 @ 12:14 pm

This is absolutely gorgeous!

Ashley — August 6, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

This is definitely one gorgeous pie – good to know it’s worth the effort!

Anne ~ Uni Homemaker — August 6, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

That is beautiful Joanne. Everything about this screams perfection! Well done!

Beth — August 6, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

Truly inspiring, Joanne. It does sound like a lot of work … but what a labour of love.

debbie — August 6, 2013 @ 3:27 pm

This is definitely a stop in your tracks kind of pie. One of the most delicious looking that I have ever seen!!! Just fabulous Joanne!!!

Tracey — August 6, 2013 @ 6:28 pm

Serious, such a gorgeous pie, Joanne!! The combination of flavors sounds heavenly, and definitely a fabulous reward for a day spent in the kitchen :)

Suzie — August 6, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

This sounds amazing Joanne!!

gloria — August 7, 2013 @ 10:46 am

this is to di for !! Love bon appetit too, I haven’t this issue:(
    love this Joanne!

Karen — August 7, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

My mouth is puckering just thinking about this pie. Beautiful!

Betty — August 7, 2013 @ 10:43 pm

Picking blackberries tomorrow! Don’t know if I’ll have time to make this masterpiece or not, but I sure do want to. :)