Salmon with Sweet Chili Glaze, Sugar Snap Peas, and Pea Tendrils

Cover recipe- Bon AppetitSalmon with Sweet Chili Glaze, Sugar Snap Peas, and Pea Tendrils:               April 2010

Bon Appetit features “Fresh & Easy Dinners” in its April 2010 issue.  This recipe is part of a piece called, “Spring’s Big 3,” showcasing vegetables that are making their spring debut:  asparagus, peas and artichokes.  Sugar snap peas are the focus of the cover recipe- Salmon with Sweet Chili Glaze, Sugar Snap Peas, and Pea Tendrils.  They add sweetness, crunch and color to dishes.  BAsuggests looking for plump, bright, slightly tender pea pods.  The freshest tasting, most beautiful looking peas will be found at farmer’s markets in the spring.

The cover recipe combines a sweet-marinated salmon with sugar snap peas and fresh pea tendrils (the young leaves and shoots of the snow pea plant that taste like a cross between peas and spinach).

Check out my notes below to see what I thought of this recipe.

Salmon with Sweet Chili Glaze, Sugar Snap Peas, and Pea Tendrils

Yield: Serves 6

Prep Time: 25 min + marinating time

1/4 cup Asian sweet chili sauce
3 Tablespoons soy sauce, divided
2 Tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger, divided
Six (6-ounce) salmon fillets with skin
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry Sherry
3 cups pea tendrils or pea sprouts (about 6 ounces)
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil

1.  Line rimmed baking sheet with foil. Coat with nonstick spray. Whisk chili sauce, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and 1 Tablespoon ginger in small bowl. Place salmon fillets, skin side down, on prepared sheet. Spoon chili sauce marinade over and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
2.  Preheat broiler. Spoon any marinade remaining on baking sheet over salmon fillets. Broil salmon without turning until browned in spots and almost opaque in center, 6 to 10 minutes, depending on thickness of fillet.
3.  Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in wok or heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon ginger and minced garlic; stir until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add sugar snap peas and stir until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, rice wine, and pea tendrils and stir just until wilted, about 1 minute. Drizzle with sesame oil.
4.  Place 1 salmon fillet on each plate. Spoon warm pea mixture over salmon fillets and serve.

*Asian sweet chili sauce can be found in the Asian food section of most markets.
*Pea tendrils or pea sprouts can be found at farmer's markets and Asian markets. I had a heck of a time finding pea tendrils. I used watercress leaves in place of the pea tendrils, and I chose not to saute them.  Instead I laid the leaves on the serving plate, and topped them with the hot salmon and sauteed sugar snap peas.
*Easy way to grate fresh ginger:  peel it and then throw it in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes.  It will get nice and firm and be much easier to grate.  You can store it in the freezer in a zip baggie for future use.
*I don't see any reason why you would need to buy salmon with the skin attached to it.  I used fillets with the skin removed and all turned out just fine.

Source:  Bon Appetit, April 2010

The flavors in this salmon recipe are delicious… lightly sweet, and I loved the added crunch of the sweet peas.  The recipe all came together very easily.  While the salmon is baking, the peas are sauteed.  When all is done, it’s easy to assemble.  I thought this recipe made a nice, light dinner.  We eat salmon fairly often, and I’ll be putting it into my rotation to try again.

Yes!  This was definitely a fresh & easy dinner.  And it was a perfect cover for spring utilizing the sugar snap peas.

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/clients/client0/web83/web/wp-content/themes/culinarycovers/single.php on line 72

23 Responses to “Lime & Blackberry Italian Meringue Pie”

Tieghan — August 5, 2013 @ 8:01 am

Wow, that meringue looks perfect!! This whole pie looks perfect. Just wow!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — August 5, 2013 @ 12:18 pm

I have this issue of BA and always wanted to make the pie! It looks gorgeous!

Joanne Eats Well With Others | Lime & Blackberry Italian Meringue Pie — August 6, 2013 @ 5:46 am

[…] If you’re looking for a pie that will make you stop dead in your tracks, jaw agape, and just say “WOW”. Then this is it. Check out my post about it over at Culinary Covers! […]

Candice — August 6, 2013 @ 7:06 am

Why isn’t it always blackberry season? I’ve never seen a pie like this but I can just imagine someone bringing it out after dinner and my heart bursting.

Dawn — August 6, 2013 @ 7:26 am

In the recipe for the blackberry wine reduction… it reads a fruity red wine… Would that be like a sangria??? I just don’t want to start this pie and reduce down a wine that may give off the wrong flavor… I ask only because we are adding more sugar and the blackberries on top of the reduced fruity red wine…I realize that this is a sweet component to counteract the tart lime curd. thank you

• Joanne Bruno replied: — August 6th, 2013 @ 7:29 am

Hi Dawn! I used a cabernet sauvignon but a shiraz might be nice also! I wouldn’t use sangria itself because it does have added sugar.

sandra — August 6, 2013 @ 7:29 am

Fabulous treat. And so inspiring.

Dawn — August 6, 2013 @ 7:45 am

Thank you so much. I thought sangria may be too sweet, but because it was being used in a sweet application – it kinda thru me. I agree Shiraz would be nice with the blackberries. Thank you for clearing that up. The fruity description kinda implies a sweeter wine – to me. Love your blog. I read it all the time

Dan from Platter Talk — August 6, 2013 @ 8:21 am

What a knockout dessert/treat t his is! It’s always good to find more recipes that use blackberries, especially this time of year – it’s their time to shine! Great post!

Lynn — August 6, 2013 @ 10:01 am

I wish I could snap my fingers and a slice of that would magically appear. It looks delicious.

Faith — August 6, 2013 @ 10:21 am

I am so happy you made this! I’ve been dying to ever since I saw it a couple years ago! It’s absolutely gorgeous…and some things (especially desserts ;) ) are definitely worth the extra work. This is a real show-stopper!

Zainab @ Blahnik Baker — August 6, 2013 @ 10:26 am

This is STUNNING!!

Lindsey Johnson — August 6, 2013 @ 11:51 am

I’ve had this bookmarked since then too! Looks fabulous, Joanne! I just need to go pick some fresh blackberries. They’re finally in season where I live.

Jennifer | Bake or Break — August 6, 2013 @ 12:14 pm

This is absolutely gorgeous!

Ashley — August 6, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

This is definitely one gorgeous pie – good to know it’s worth the effort!

Anne ~ Uni Homemaker — August 6, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

That is beautiful Joanne. Everything about this screams perfection! Well done!

Beth — August 6, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

Truly inspiring, Joanne. It does sound like a lot of work … but what a labour of love.

debbie — August 6, 2013 @ 3:27 pm

This is definitely a stop in your tracks kind of pie. One of the most delicious looking that I have ever seen!!! Just fabulous Joanne!!!

Tracey — August 6, 2013 @ 6:28 pm

Serious, such a gorgeous pie, Joanne!! The combination of flavors sounds heavenly, and definitely a fabulous reward for a day spent in the kitchen :)

Suzie — August 6, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

This sounds amazing Joanne!!

gloria — August 7, 2013 @ 10:46 am

this is to di for !! Love bon appetit too, I haven’t this issue:(
    love this Joanne!

Karen — August 7, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

My mouth is puckering just thinking about this pie. Beautiful!

Betty — August 7, 2013 @ 10:43 pm

Picking blackberries tomorrow! Don’t know if I’ll have time to make this masterpiece or not, but I sure do want to. :)