Salmon with Sweet Chili Glaze, Sugar Snap Peas, and Pea Tendrils

Cover recipe- Bon AppetitSalmon with Sweet Chili Glaze, Sugar Snap Peas, and Pea Tendrils:               April 2010

Bon Appetit features “Fresh & Easy Dinners” in its April 2010 issue.  This recipe is part of a piece called, “Spring’s Big 3,” showcasing vegetables that are making their spring debut:  asparagus, peas and artichokes.  Sugar snap peas are the focus of the cover recipe- Salmon with Sweet Chili Glaze, Sugar Snap Peas, and Pea Tendrils.  They add sweetness, crunch and color to dishes.  BAsuggests looking for plump, bright, slightly tender pea pods.  The freshest tasting, most beautiful looking peas will be found at farmer’s markets in the spring.

The cover recipe combines a sweet-marinated salmon with sugar snap peas and fresh pea tendrils (the young leaves and shoots of the snow pea plant that taste like a cross between peas and spinach).

Check out my notes below to see what I thought of this recipe.

Salmon with Sweet Chili Glaze, Sugar Snap Peas, and Pea Tendrils

Yield: Serves 6

Prep Time: 25 min + marinating time

1/4 cup Asian sweet chili sauce
3 Tablespoons soy sauce, divided
2 Tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger, divided
Six (6-ounce) salmon fillets with skin
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry Sherry
3 cups pea tendrils or pea sprouts (about 6 ounces)
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil

1.  Line rimmed baking sheet with foil. Coat with nonstick spray. Whisk chili sauce, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and 1 Tablespoon ginger in small bowl. Place salmon fillets, skin side down, on prepared sheet. Spoon chili sauce marinade over and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
2.  Preheat broiler. Spoon any marinade remaining on baking sheet over salmon fillets. Broil salmon without turning until browned in spots and almost opaque in center, 6 to 10 minutes, depending on thickness of fillet.
3.  Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in wok or heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon ginger and minced garlic; stir until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add sugar snap peas and stir until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, rice wine, and pea tendrils and stir just until wilted, about 1 minute. Drizzle with sesame oil.
4.  Place 1 salmon fillet on each plate. Spoon warm pea mixture over salmon fillets and serve.

*Asian sweet chili sauce can be found in the Asian food section of most markets.
*Pea tendrils or pea sprouts can be found at farmer's markets and Asian markets. I had a heck of a time finding pea tendrils. I used watercress leaves in place of the pea tendrils, and I chose not to saute them.  Instead I laid the leaves on the serving plate, and topped them with the hot salmon and sauteed sugar snap peas.
*Easy way to grate fresh ginger:  peel it and then throw it in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes.  It will get nice and firm and be much easier to grate.  You can store it in the freezer in a zip baggie for future use.
*I don't see any reason why you would need to buy salmon with the skin attached to it.  I used fillets with the skin removed and all turned out just fine.

Source:  Bon Appetit, April 2010

The flavors in this salmon recipe are delicious… lightly sweet, and I loved the added crunch of the sweet peas.  The recipe all came together very easily.  While the salmon is baking, the peas are sauteed.  When all is done, it’s easy to assemble.  I thought this recipe made a nice, light dinner.  We eat salmon fairly often, and I’ll be putting it into my rotation to try again.

Yes!  This was definitely a fresh & easy dinner.  And it was a perfect cover for spring utilizing the sugar snap peas.

18 Responses to “Grilled Turkey Burgers with Cheddar and Smoky Aioli”

Dragon — May 26, 2010 @ 10:35 am

Want! Great job Lori!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 26, 2010 @ 10:36 am

i’m glad you tried this recipe out…i have the mag, and never tried this one before! i LOOOOOOOVE burgers :)

Angie — May 26, 2010 @ 10:48 am

This burger looks great! I am buying alot of ground turkey lately. But I still haven’t made burgers with it. Made spaghetti and turkey meatballs last night. I will definitely try this recipe

Cheri — May 26, 2010 @ 12:15 pm

This looks so good Lori! I’ve got to try it soon.

I’m always amazed at your ability to replicate the magazine photo. Good work! ;)

Krista — May 26, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

Great job, Lori! :-) The veggies are such a marvy addition, and I really like adding the aioli to the meat. Delish!

Natalie @ Perrys' Plate — May 26, 2010 @ 3:48 pm

Gorgeous shot of that burger!!! I tried this burger last year when the mag came out and loved it as well :)

Elizabeth — May 27, 2010 @ 8:01 am

I’m embarrassed to ask, but what is aioli – is it the mayo, olive oil, lemon juice and spices?

• Lori Lange replied: — May 27th, 2010 @ 9:29 am

You’re exactly right… it’s the mayo-based sauce :)

Katrina — May 27, 2010 @ 9:57 am

Mmm, this one really does look and sound great! Aioli is dangerous for me. There’s one at Carrabba’s Grill served with their zucchini frites that I could almost just spoon in my mouth! ;)
    This looks like MY kind of burger.

ThatsSoYummy — May 27, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

How funny… I was just saying to myself I might make them this weekend… Love it!

-Natasha

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — May 28, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

Looks like a great burger! Yum :)

Louise — May 29, 2010 @ 4:39 am

That’s one good looking burger, Lori! I must add this link to the post I did for National Hamburger Day (28th:) So glad I didn’t miss it! Have a GREAT weekend!!!

grace — May 31, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

i couldn’t pass through without complimenting your burger. it looks even better than the one in the no doubt heavily-stylized magazine picture–bravo!

Sues — May 31, 2010 @ 8:17 pm

I’ve loved that cover ever since I got the issue too… But your burger? You take it to a whole new level!! Yours actually made me drool :)

• Lori Lange replied: — May 31st, 2010 @ 8:26 pm

Wow, thanks!!

Karen — June 21, 2010 @ 3:51 pm

We’re glad to hear you enjoy cooking these burgers, Lori. I’ve posted a link to your article over on the original recipe. http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/quick-recipes/2009/08/grilled_turkey_burgers_with_cheddar_and_smoky_aioli

best,
    Karen Wilson
    producer, bonappetit.com

gourmetgreg — July 13, 2010 @ 3:18 pm

I saw this recipe and will try it for an upcoming party which includes turkey burger sliders on the menu as this recipe includes many of the spices and concepts I have been using in my own “ultimate” turkey burger recipe. I add the following: finely chopped half of a large red or sweet Vidalia onion, half cup breadcrumbs, half cup grated parmesan and 1/2 cup cubed cheese (I use parmesan) and a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce (in honor of Rachel Ray). This way, there is no need to top with melted cheese or sliced onion and the melted cheese cubes add a surprise smile to the face of the guest. I assume you use the remaining aioli, not used in the meat mixture, as a condiment?

• Lori Lange replied: — July 20th, 2010 @ 10:26 am

I love your modification ideas! Yes, the aioli may be used as a condiment to the burger. Delicious!