Fish Tacos with Cabbage and Lime

Cover recipe- Everyday Food, Fish Tacos with Cabbage and Lime: May 2010

This issue of EveryDay Food  focused on Fast & Healthy:  40 Dishes in 30 Minutes or Less.  These Fish Tacos with Cabbage and Lime were part of that promo.  It’s  highlighting the need for quick, simple solutions, a short, nutritious ingredient list and delicious results.  Editor-in-Chief Anna Last supports getting the most out of ‘good’ convenience foods and producing wholesome meals in less than 30 minutes.  This recipe is highlighted as a “Special Diet” recipe… Gluten Free!  Not knowing anything at all about gluten free diets, I learned that most corn tortillas are gluten free.

See my notes below to see how this recipe turned out.

Fish Tacos with Cabbage and Lime

Yield: Serves 4 (3 tacos per person)

1 pound boneless, skinless tilapia fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
coarse salt and ground pepper
1/4 cup sour cream
1 lime, half finely zested and juiced, half cut into wedges
hot sauce, such as Tabasco
12 corn tortillas
1/2 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh cilantro
1 small white onion, finely chopped

1.  Heat broiler, with rack in highest position.  Pat fish dry with paper towels and gently coat with oil on a rimmed baking sheet.  Season with salt and pepper.  Broil until fish is browned on top and flesh is opaque throughout, 5 minutes.
2.  Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sour cream, lime zest and juice, and a few dashes hot sauce.  Season with salt and pepper.  Toast corn tortillas over a kitchen burner using tongs or wrap in parchment-lined foil and heat in oven, 5 minutes.  Divide fish evenly among tortillas and top with cabbage, cilantro and onion.  Serve with lime sour cream and lime wedges.

*The recipe doesn't call for rinsing the fish, but I always rinse my fish and then pat it dry.
*It took a little longer for my fish to cook... more like 8 to 10 minutes in order to get it browned on top and opaque throughout.
*I didn't care for the method suggested of using tongs to heat the corn tortillas over a kitchen burner. I tried this, and the edges of the tortillas quickly charred (as pictured in the original photo). This made the tacos taste a little burnt in places. I'd much rather just heat them in the oven or even use taco shells instead. Flour tortillas would be a little bit sturdier, though not gluten free.

Serving size: 3 tacos
Calories per serving: 440
Fat per serving: 14.9g
Saturated Fat per serving: 4.2g
Fiber per serving: 6.9g
Protein per serving: 35.9g
Carbohydrates per serving: 42.8g

Source:  Everyday Food, May 2010

Although we enjoyed these, there are two things I’d do to enhance this recipe.  I’d leave out the onion and instead add a scoop of fresh salsa to the taco.  Topping it all off with either guacamole or chunks of avocado would really make them that much more delicious. As written, the recipe was okay… my family enjoyed it, but it could be better.  The addition of salsa and avocado wouldn’t create much more prep time either- you could still get it on the table quickly.

Yes.  It’s simple enough to get on the table quickly for those nights when you don’t have much time for preparing dinner.  It was easy to prepare and healthy too… just needed a boost with a little more flavor.

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/clients/client0/web83/web/wp-content/themes/culinarycovers/single.php on line 72

19 Responses to “Basic Pancakes”

Emily @ The Southern Belle Blogs — April 20, 2010 @ 10:17 am

I’ve never made homemade pancakes before, but it is definitely on the top of my list. This recipe looks like a good one to start with and I love that there are even instructions for freezing! My mornings are already so rushed that it would be nice to have something tasty for breakfast.

Thanks for covering this one!

VeggieGirl — April 20, 2010 @ 10:22 am

Can’t beat homemade! Especially with pancakes :)

Teresa — April 20, 2010 @ 10:24 am

Lori, excellent reproduction. I love how you’re capturing the essence of each cover you re-create.

Maria — April 20, 2010 @ 10:28 am

They look like perfect pancakes to me!

Judy — April 20, 2010 @ 10:29 am

Love it Lori! We freeze ours or just refrigerate for a couple of days. The girls heat them up themselves in the toaster. Seems to work fine as well!

Margaret — April 20, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

This is sooo similar to the Betty Crocker recipe I have used for years. Only difference = mine uses 1Tbl sugar and 1/4 tsp salt. Guess there aren’t too many ways to put this batter 2gether. Thanks for the tips about freezing, etc.

Heavenly Housewife — April 20, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

These look stunning. I live in the UK but I sometimes see this magazine at the bookstore. I’m going to be on the lookout for this tomorrow when I’m at the mall.
    Loved your review.
    *kisses* HH

Jessy — April 20, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

Thanks for the tips about freezing pancakes. I’ve never tried doing that before, but it would be nice to have pancakes in the middle of the week, rather than on the weekends only!

kirbie — April 20, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

I love the instructions on freezing and storing mix. I never thought to freeze my pancakes!

Aggie — April 20, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

I love making pancakes from scratch (a couple of years ago not sure I even knew how!)…I always double or triple the recipe and freeze for the kids’ breakfast. They are always asking for pancakes, so much cheaper this way!

ThatsSoYummy — April 21, 2010 @ 7:50 am

Who can really say no to pancakes, they are my favorite!

Yummy!

-Natasha

Paula - bell'alimento — April 21, 2010 @ 7:52 am

We love pancakes in our house. These look beautiful. Nice & fluffy & light! Hubs usually makes them every Saturday, he’s our official pancake maker ; )

Jamie — April 21, 2010 @ 9:22 am

My family loves buttermilk pancakes, and as a mom of two little girls I always make extra to freeze.
    I love what you are doing. I almost always think of you when I am at the check out lane, trying to guess what cover you will feature next.

• Lori Lange replied: — April 21st, 2010 @ 9:29 am

Thanks Jamie! It’s definitely fun to get magazines in the mail. Helps me decide what to make for dinner if the covers look good!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — April 22, 2010 @ 1:21 pm

Looks great… I love pancakes, and I’m always happy to have new recipes to try. Love that this one includes so many tips and variations.

Veronica — April 26, 2010 @ 1:13 am

Wow, what a great coincidece! I just happen to make these exact pancake recipe this morning for my kids. I used the buttermilk variation and they turned out fluffy and delicious. I didn’t have any left overs to freeze. Next time I will make a double batch and freeze the rest. :)

Caroline — April 30, 2010 @ 10:44 am

Thanks for blogging about this recipe!! I have been using Alton Brown’s pancake mix recipe, but I LOVED this recipe this morning. The pancakes were much more fluffy, and the recipe was much less work than Alton Brown’s. This is my new pancake mix! Thanks!

I love your photos!

Sonia — May 4, 2010 @ 4:41 am

OMG! these pancakes looks so fluffy and beautiful! I love pancakes and just had in today morning breakfast. I’ll try yours next time. The notes and tips are awesome. Thanks for sharing them. :)

Renee @ Awesome on $20 — May 15, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

I’m always looking for the perfect pancakes. Nobody makes pancakes like my dad, but he’s half an ocean away. I’ll be giving this recipe a shot.