Fish Tacos with Cabbage and Lime

Cover recipe- Everyday Food, Fish Tacos with Cabbage and Lime: May 2010

This issue of EveryDay Food  focused on Fast & Healthy:  40 Dishes in 30 Minutes or Less.  These Fish Tacos with Cabbage and Lime were part of that promo.  It’s  highlighting the need for quick, simple solutions, a short, nutritious ingredient list and delicious results.  Editor-in-Chief Anna Last supports getting the most out of ‘good’ convenience foods and producing wholesome meals in less than 30 minutes.  This recipe is highlighted as a “Special Diet” recipe… Gluten Free!  Not knowing anything at all about gluten free diets, I learned that most corn tortillas are gluten free.

See my notes below to see how this recipe turned out.

Fish Tacos with Cabbage and Lime

Yield: Serves 4 (3 tacos per person)

1 pound boneless, skinless tilapia fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
coarse salt and ground pepper
1/4 cup sour cream
1 lime, half finely zested and juiced, half cut into wedges
hot sauce, such as Tabasco
12 corn tortillas
1/2 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh cilantro
1 small white onion, finely chopped

1.  Heat broiler, with rack in highest position.  Pat fish dry with paper towels and gently coat with oil on a rimmed baking sheet.  Season with salt and pepper.  Broil until fish is browned on top and flesh is opaque throughout, 5 minutes.
2.  Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sour cream, lime zest and juice, and a few dashes hot sauce.  Season with salt and pepper.  Toast corn tortillas over a kitchen burner using tongs or wrap in parchment-lined foil and heat in oven, 5 minutes.  Divide fish evenly among tortillas and top with cabbage, cilantro and onion.  Serve with lime sour cream and lime wedges.

*The recipe doesn't call for rinsing the fish, but I always rinse my fish and then pat it dry.
*It took a little longer for my fish to cook... more like 8 to 10 minutes in order to get it browned on top and opaque throughout.
*I didn't care for the method suggested of using tongs to heat the corn tortillas over a kitchen burner. I tried this, and the edges of the tortillas quickly charred (as pictured in the original photo). This made the tacos taste a little burnt in places. I'd much rather just heat them in the oven or even use taco shells instead. Flour tortillas would be a little bit sturdier, though not gluten free.

Serving size: 3 tacos
Calories per serving: 440
Fat per serving: 14.9g
Saturated Fat per serving: 4.2g
Fiber per serving: 6.9g
Protein per serving: 35.9g
Carbohydrates per serving: 42.8g

Source:  Everyday Food, May 2010

Although we enjoyed these, there are two things I’d do to enhance this recipe.  I’d leave out the onion and instead add a scoop of fresh salsa to the taco.  Topping it all off with either guacamole or chunks of avocado would really make them that much more delicious. As written, the recipe was okay… my family enjoyed it, but it could be better.  The addition of salsa and avocado wouldn’t create much more prep time either- you could still get it on the table quickly.

Yes.  It’s simple enough to get on the table quickly for those nights when you don’t have much time for preparing dinner.  It was easy to prepare and healthy too… just needed a boost with a little more flavor.

31 Responses to “Jam- Filled Cream Cheese Cookies”

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — December 7, 2009 @ 8:15 am

You did a great job with the cookies! I agree that they look beautiful, but that’s frustrating that the recipe didn’t work as written. You did a wonderful job adapting, though.

VeggieGirl — December 7, 2009 @ 8:57 am

Your revisions make it better, for sure!

Barabara Bakes — December 7, 2009 @ 9:12 am

They really are a spectacular looking cookie! Glad to hear they are delicious as well.

BethieofVA — December 7, 2009 @ 1:45 pm

I rarely have good luck with Martha’s recipes. Your cookies are lovely.

Sues — December 7, 2009 @ 2:01 pm

Yours look so much prettier!!

Katie — December 7, 2009 @ 2:08 pm

Did you sprinkle with chunky sugar before baking or after? I have always assumed the sugar would melt!

Elizabeth — December 7, 2009 @ 2:50 pm

I have a cookie exchange coming up and these would be perfect!

You said the dough stuck to the parchment paper, but do you think flouring the paper or dough lightly then rolling would work? Or would it just be easier to roll the dough into balls and refrigerate those, then roll them out without the parchment?

• Lori Lange replied: — December 7th, 2009 @ 2:57 pm

Elizabeth- I think skipping the parchment entirely is a good idea. I’d refrigerate the dough in balls, as you mentioned, then roll out the chilled dough. My biggest frustration was the opening up of the points of the star, so just be careful to really stick them all in the middle with brushes of egg wash, then chill the cookies again before baking.

Dez — December 7, 2009 @ 10:23 pm

I have been thinking of making these too. I was thinking the star shape would come apart. Did you try making the other shape illustated inside? What kind of jam did you try? I was thinking Bon Maman cherry, apricot or marmalade.

• Lori Lange replied: — December 7th, 2009 @ 10:37 pm

Hi Dez,

I used seedless raspberry jam & apricot preserves- just a teaspoon inside each star.

I DID try the other shape that they picture in the interior of the magazine… made a whole bunch of those and they were disastrous. Jam leaked everywhere and they just weren’t pretty like the picture. The tucked-in stars were much more attractive! As I mentioned, some did come apart during baking. We ate those “rejects” and I took the rest to the cookie exchange :)

Luisa — December 8, 2009 @ 10:04 am

By 2 inch star, do you mean measured without the points? If so then the fianl cookies would only be 1 inch across. What was the measurement of the greatest diameter?

• Lori Lange replied: — December 8th, 2009 @ 10:19 am

Luisa, Well… I’m not really quite sure what “Martha” meant in her instructions, but I’ll tell you what I did. Stars are a bit tricky to measure because they have 5 points. The star I used was about 3 1/4-inches from point to point and about 1 1/2 inches in the interior. You’ll end up with cookies that are about 1 1/2-inches. They’re tiny, little, bite-sized things but that perfectly fine because you don’t really want a big mouthful of jam.

natalie — December 8, 2009 @ 5:26 pm

yum! these look great!

Dina — December 10, 2009 @ 3:33 pm

your cookies look just like the ones from the magazine! i can tell you from working at a food mag that recipes are tested in test kitchens, usually multiple times. who knows what went wrong. it could be the brands of ingredients you and the mag used were different. baking is difficult. i’ve seen magazines change recipes that worked at home but didn’t work in the test kitchen.

• Lori Lange replied: — December 10th, 2009 @ 3:48 pm

Dina- I think you’re exactly right! So many factors can come into play & baking really can be an exact science sometimes. Sometimes I develop recipes that work flawlessly, and there is always a reader or two who can’t seem to work it out. It’s nice if you’re skilled enough to know how to improvise, that’s for sure :)

jami — December 11, 2009 @ 1:15 am

I’m making these right now, and I think my star cookie cutter is smaller than you mentioned – but not a lot – about 2 1/2″ from tip to tip and about 1 1/2″ across the middle – but I couldn’t get any more than about an eighth of a teaspoon of jam in the middle! I went back to reread the recipe and found that they really are supposed to be itty-bitty cookies, but I can’t imagine how you could get anywhere near 1/2 tsp in the middle. I love two-bite cookies, but I think it would be fun to try these with larger cookie cutters to be able to really get a nice, jammy center.

Still, I’m excited to try them!

jami — December 11, 2009 @ 1:20 am

Follow up note: I halved the recipe and got 30 cookies. TWENTY-NINE of them opened up during baking. Eesh! I also wondered: since the dough is fairly sticky, the egg wash inside just made it gloopy. Do you think the dough would stick better without the egg wash, and then you could still brush the tops before sprinkling with sugar? I might try that if I make these again (which I’ll be willing to do if they taste good – they certainly smell delicious!).

• Lori Lange replied: — December 11th, 2009 @ 6:25 pm

Jami- 29???? I’m shocked! My dough wasn’t sticky at all by the time I used flour to roll it out, etc. I wonder if that made a difference? You know those little ceramic pie weights… I was thinking that placing those in the center of each cookie might help anchor it down. I know that’s a drastic measure, but there’s got ot be something that we’re missing that would make this recipe work easier!

Louise — December 11, 2009 @ 11:29 am

Now, you got me to thinking. Perhaps, there is hope for me. Just maybe, I’m not savvy enough to know the recipe may be the problem, NOT me. I really think I should revisit my thoughts on baking. I want to bake cookies as pretty as those. Your really are my inspiration, Lori. I think next year, I will take the plunge with you as my guide.

Have I told you how much I LOVE your new blog? I’m sure glad to be back!!!

• Lori Lange replied: — December 11th, 2009 @ 6:26 pm

Thanks Louise- glad you’re enjoying :)

Mandy — December 11, 2009 @ 11:42 pm

yours turned out SO CUTE! I wasn’t impressed with the cover but loved how yours turned out and the notes. I will have to try them.

Ninette — December 12, 2009 @ 4:35 pm

What a great idea for a blog! The recipe looks like kolacky, a Polish or Eastern European jam-filled cookies, except the shape is different.

Jenn — December 13, 2009 @ 1:04 am

I made a double batch of these tonight for a cookie exchange tomorrow – I had no trouble with rolling dough out between parchment. I chilled the dough overnight (out of convenience) and it rolled out great and even though after awhile at room temperature it would get soft, I rolled the scraps out using parchment on top of my rolling pin, no problem. But, I had a similar experience for the cookies not holding shape – for a DOUBLE batch I have maybe 1 dozen nice ones, all the others opened up or ran all over. They still taste great and some of them look great, others not so great. I had better luck with the square shape rather than the star. The star was so hard to get all points to stay together while baking. I even experimented and did some like empanaditas – jam in the middle with entire thing sealed, still opened up. I agree – only about 1/8 – 1/4 tsp. of jam (raspberry and apricot) were able to fit in my cookies – I had a pretty big star cutter. Sigh. I am SO glad that I was not the only one with trouble on this recipe. Tastes great, but hard to get that picture perfect look!

Jenn — December 13, 2009 @ 1:05 am

Forgot to mention (sorry, long post) that the recipe at the beginning notes does talk about adding sugar, but not sparkling or chunkier sugar. I used egg wash and regular sugar on my first batch but didn’t bother on the rest b/c I didn’t have sparkling sugar on hand and that would be best like you used – yours are so pretty!

Katrina — December 13, 2009 @ 9:54 am

I think we did a TWD cookie that had a lot of cream cheese in it and we were instructed to roll the dough out in plastic or waxpaper, just as you mention and I’m pretty sure it was pretty sticky. Seems like I rolled mine with lots of flour, too. But you’re right, that said the cookies do look great!

Stephanie — December 15, 2009 @ 2:05 pm

I made these last night and experienced the same frustrations. It took much longer than the recommended time and my stars and squares opened up too. I gave up and the cookie exchange will have to go on taste rather than looks!

Sherida — December 21, 2009 @ 7:30 pm

So glad I found this blog before I tried making these cookies! I have had the ingredients for weeks, but just haven’t had the time and was planning to try this week. Will definitely use everyone’s comments as guidelines. I loved the fudge recipes from this magazine, so was expecting the cookies to be as user-friendly. I guess not! Will keep an eye on your blog for more great ideas! Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Melissa — December 23, 2009 @ 11:41 pm

I just made the other square-ish shape and there were so many visual rejects (although all of them tasted good). I might try the stars next time based on your helpful blog post!

Lorraine Fina Stevenski — December 17, 2010 @ 9:19 pm

This recipe was also in the 2010 Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies magazine publication this year. I am so glad to read all the personal input for this recipe. I made the dough tonight in my food processor. Easy. I will refrigerage overnight and roll out tomorrow without the parchment. I will skip the star shape and roll them like a Rugelach cookie with apricot-peach jam filling. So much easier and they will also look beautiful when sprinkled with coarse sugar. Thanks for the information.

marla — December 20, 2010 @ 4:22 pm

These cookies look awesome & I am linking to them tomorrow in my cookie recipe post :)

Lee Ann — December 19, 2011 @ 8:52 am

thank you for the recipe, they turned out delicious.. although I didn’t have a star cutter so i made squares and folded two opposite corners to seal in the middle.. thank you again!!!