Orange-Glazed Grilled Shrimp

Cover recipe- Everyday Food, Orange- Glazed Grilled Shrimp: June 2010

This issue of EveryDay Food focuses on 68 recipes to kick off the summer season- of course including a few recipes for grilling.  Plenty of recipes for salads and sandwiches (think ‘picnic’) are included, and the dessert section highlights ice cream and seasonal fruit recipes.  The Orange- Glazed Grilled Shrimp cover recipe is featured in a short article about the convenience of using orange marmalade in both sweet and savory dishes.

A few quick ideas for using marmalade that the magazine offers…
1.  Spread marmalade between vanilla or chocolate cake layers, then frost cake with vanilla icing.
2.  Add to a vinaigrette for some tangy citrus flavor.
3.  Stir into fruit salad in place of sugar or honey.
4.  Brush fruit tarts with warmed marmalade to make them shiny
Shopping tip:  If you find most marmalades to bitter for your taste, look for “sweet” on the label or purchase marmalade made from sweet oranges.

The article gave 3 ideas for quick glazes using marmalade.  They’re all sweet-sour glazes that can be used on grilled shrimp, turkey, beef, chicken, pork and salmon.  Read my notes below to see how it went with the cover recipe…

Orange- Glazed Grilled Shrimp

Yield: Serves 4

16 large-sized shrimp (with tails on)
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1/1/2 tsp. grainy mustard

1.  String 4 shrimp onto each of 4 skewers.
2.  In a small bowl, stir together orange marmalade and mustard.
3.  Grill shrimp on a preheated, oiled grill.  Brush glaze on all sides of the shrimp 2 minutes before it's finished cooking.  Then brush on again right after removing from the grill.

Optional: Raw Corn & Zucchini Salad
Cut off tips of 3 ears corn, husks and silks removed; stand corn in a wide, shallow bowl. With a sharp knife, slice downward to release kernels (you should have about 2 cups); discard cobs. Transfer kernels to a medium bowl. Add 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced, 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, and 2 Tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper and toss well to combine. Serves 4

*I soaked wooden skewers in water for several hours before stringing on the shrimp.
*The only thing I added was that I brushed on a little bit of olive oil before I put the shrimp on the grill- I was afraid my shrimp might stick to my grill.  I salt and peppered it too.

Source:  Everyday Food, June 2010

It’s odd to say this with such a simple recipe, but my family actually really enjoyed it.  I don’t typically like marmalade much on its own, but it was good in moderation… just brushed onto the shrimp w/ a little bit of grainy mustard.  Perfect! Also, I LOVED the (optional) raw corn and zucchini salad too.  I was apprehensive of it being raw but no need to be- it was SO good.

Absolutely!  Such a simple recipe for the shrimp and the salad was wonderful too… a perfect way to start off the summer.

15 Responses to “Chicken Milanese with Arugula Salad”

ABowlOfMush — November 12, 2009 @ 8:48 am

Great dinner Idea! Will be bookmarking this!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is — November 12, 2009 @ 8:52 am

I love finding new *good* chicken recipes. Also, love arugala. So good!

Elle — November 12, 2009 @ 8:58 am

Beautiful! One can never have enough recipes for quickie chicken dinners. Looks great–and in case anyone’s on the fence? Cool, lightly dressed greens over warm chicken is out of this world good.

Meeta — November 12, 2009 @ 10:52 am

oh i really like chicken breaded like this. crispy on the outside and moist and succulent on the inside.

Theresa — November 12, 2009 @ 11:26 am

Beautiful photo, and this recipe looks great! I’ve made chicken milanese (and pork milanese) dozens of times, but never baked. I like the idea of doing it lighter. I will definitely have to try this!

Jessica — November 12, 2009 @ 2:34 pm

This is my kind of weeknight meal!
    I’m enjoying your new blog Lori. Great idea!

Esi — November 12, 2009 @ 7:29 pm

This is one of my favorite dinners. I have made it many times!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — November 12, 2009 @ 9:35 pm

Yum… Sounds like a great meal. Definitely looks (and sounds) cover-worthy to me!

Katrina — November 13, 2009 @ 5:45 pm

Sounds de-lish! I love that you’re doing this, Lori.

Aggie — November 14, 2009 @ 10:54 am

I remember this cover! looks delicious! Thanks for reminding me to make it! :)

Louise — November 14, 2009 @ 1:11 pm

Another successful post Lori. So glad to know I’m not the only one that saves stacks of food magazines. I too am so glad you have created this fruitful blog…It’s WINNER!!!

Deborah Mele — November 23, 2009 @ 10:39 am

I have been making similar recipes for almost 20 years since I first lived in Milan and it is one of my favorite ways to prepare chicken.

Katie @ goodLife {eats} — December 11, 2009 @ 8:39 pm

I made this a few weeks ago to use up arugula from our garden and it was great! Thanks for the idea, and you’re right the chicken is so moist! I used herbed breadcrumbs because that’s what I had and added some lemon pepper seasoning to it.

Rachael — March 8, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

An absolute necessary addition to make this dish go from good to phenominal:

Cook down about 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar with 1 or 2 tbl sugar or honey till it’s thickened to about 1/3 cup. Drizzle over the salad after you plate.

• Lori Lange replied: — March 10th, 2011 @ 2:38 pm