Orange-Glazed Grilled Shrimp

Cover recipe- Everyday Food, Orange- Glazed Grilled Shrimp: June 2010

This issue of EveryDay Food focuses on 68 recipes to kick off the summer season- of course including a few recipes for grilling.  Plenty of recipes for salads and sandwiches (think ‘picnic’) are included, and the dessert section highlights ice cream and seasonal fruit recipes.  The Orange- Glazed Grilled Shrimp cover recipe is featured in a short article about the convenience of using orange marmalade in both sweet and savory dishes.

A few quick ideas for using marmalade that the magazine offers…
1.  Spread marmalade between vanilla or chocolate cake layers, then frost cake with vanilla icing.
2.  Add to a vinaigrette for some tangy citrus flavor.
3.  Stir into fruit salad in place of sugar or honey.
4.  Brush fruit tarts with warmed marmalade to make them shiny
Shopping tip:  If you find most marmalades to bitter for your taste, look for “sweet” on the label or purchase marmalade made from sweet oranges.

The article gave 3 ideas for quick glazes using marmalade.  They’re all sweet-sour glazes that can be used on grilled shrimp, turkey, beef, chicken, pork and salmon.  Read my notes below to see how it went with the cover recipe…

Orange- Glazed Grilled Shrimp

Yield: Serves 4

16 large-sized shrimp (with tails on)
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1/1/2 tsp. grainy mustard

1.  String 4 shrimp onto each of 4 skewers.
2.  In a small bowl, stir together orange marmalade and mustard.
3.  Grill shrimp on a preheated, oiled grill.  Brush glaze on all sides of the shrimp 2 minutes before it's finished cooking.  Then brush on again right after removing from the grill.

Optional: Raw Corn & Zucchini Salad
Cut off tips of 3 ears corn, husks and silks removed; stand corn in a wide, shallow bowl. With a sharp knife, slice downward to release kernels (you should have about 2 cups); discard cobs. Transfer kernels to a medium bowl. Add 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced, 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, and 2 Tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper and toss well to combine. Serves 4

*I soaked wooden skewers in water for several hours before stringing on the shrimp.
*The only thing I added was that I brushed on a little bit of olive oil before I put the shrimp on the grill- I was afraid my shrimp might stick to my grill.  I salt and peppered it too.

Source:  Everyday Food, June 2010

It’s odd to say this with such a simple recipe, but my family actually really enjoyed it.  I don’t typically like marmalade much on its own, but it was good in moderation… just brushed onto the shrimp w/ a little bit of grainy mustard.  Perfect! Also, I LOVED the (optional) raw corn and zucchini salad too.  I was apprehensive of it being raw but no need to be- it was SO good.

Absolutely!  Such a simple recipe for the shrimp and the salad was wonderful too… a perfect way to start off the summer.

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/clients/client0/web83/web/wp-content/themes/culinarycovers/single.php on line 72

19 Responses to “Basic Pancakes”

Emily @ The Southern Belle Blogs — April 20, 2010 @ 10:17 am

I’ve never made homemade pancakes before, but it is definitely on the top of my list. This recipe looks like a good one to start with and I love that there are even instructions for freezing! My mornings are already so rushed that it would be nice to have something tasty for breakfast.

Thanks for covering this one!

VeggieGirl — April 20, 2010 @ 10:22 am

Can’t beat homemade! Especially with pancakes :)

Teresa — April 20, 2010 @ 10:24 am

Lori, excellent reproduction. I love how you’re capturing the essence of each cover you re-create.

Maria — April 20, 2010 @ 10:28 am

They look like perfect pancakes to me!

Judy — April 20, 2010 @ 10:29 am

Love it Lori! We freeze ours or just refrigerate for a couple of days. The girls heat them up themselves in the toaster. Seems to work fine as well!

Margaret — April 20, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

This is sooo similar to the Betty Crocker recipe I have used for years. Only difference = mine uses 1Tbl sugar and 1/4 tsp salt. Guess there aren’t too many ways to put this batter 2gether. Thanks for the tips about freezing, etc.

Heavenly Housewife — April 20, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

These look stunning. I live in the UK but I sometimes see this magazine at the bookstore. I’m going to be on the lookout for this tomorrow when I’m at the mall.
    Loved your review.
    *kisses* HH

Jessy — April 20, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

Thanks for the tips about freezing pancakes. I’ve never tried doing that before, but it would be nice to have pancakes in the middle of the week, rather than on the weekends only!

kirbie — April 20, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

I love the instructions on freezing and storing mix. I never thought to freeze my pancakes!

Aggie — April 20, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

I love making pancakes from scratch (a couple of years ago not sure I even knew how!)…I always double or triple the recipe and freeze for the kids’ breakfast. They are always asking for pancakes, so much cheaper this way!

ThatsSoYummy — April 21, 2010 @ 7:50 am

Who can really say no to pancakes, they are my favorite!

Yummy!

-Natasha

Paula - bell'alimento — April 21, 2010 @ 7:52 am

We love pancakes in our house. These look beautiful. Nice & fluffy & light! Hubs usually makes them every Saturday, he’s our official pancake maker ; )

Jamie — April 21, 2010 @ 9:22 am

My family loves buttermilk pancakes, and as a mom of two little girls I always make extra to freeze.
    I love what you are doing. I almost always think of you when I am at the check out lane, trying to guess what cover you will feature next.

• Lori Lange replied: — April 21st, 2010 @ 9:29 am

Thanks Jamie! It’s definitely fun to get magazines in the mail. Helps me decide what to make for dinner if the covers look good!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — April 22, 2010 @ 1:21 pm

Looks great… I love pancakes, and I’m always happy to have new recipes to try. Love that this one includes so many tips and variations.

Veronica — April 26, 2010 @ 1:13 am

Wow, what a great coincidece! I just happen to make these exact pancake recipe this morning for my kids. I used the buttermilk variation and they turned out fluffy and delicious. I didn’t have any left overs to freeze. Next time I will make a double batch and freeze the rest. :)

Caroline — April 30, 2010 @ 10:44 am

Thanks for blogging about this recipe!! I have been using Alton Brown’s pancake mix recipe, but I LOVED this recipe this morning. The pancakes were much more fluffy, and the recipe was much less work than Alton Brown’s. This is my new pancake mix! Thanks!

I love your photos!

Sonia — May 4, 2010 @ 4:41 am

OMG! these pancakes looks so fluffy and beautiful! I love pancakes and just had in today morning breakfast. I’ll try yours next time. The notes and tips are awesome. Thanks for sharing them. :)

Renee @ Awesome on $20 — May 15, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

I’m always looking for the perfect pancakes. Nobody makes pancakes like my dad, but he’s half an ocean away. I’ll be giving this recipe a shot.