Mexican (Avocado) Hot Dog

Cover recipe- Food Network Magazine, Mexican (Avocado) Hot Dogs:     June 2011

The June issue of Food Network Magazine is listed as “Hot Dog!  The Grilling Issue.”  This isn’t an issue about grilling hot dogs.  It’s an issue devoted to grilling everything… veggies, romaine lettuce, burgers, kebabs, etc.  The insert is a spotlight on how to make 50 different condiments to put on burgers and hot dogs and more.  I’m not really quite sure why hot dogs made the cover, other than they probably thought it would be fun to show that you can do more with a hot dog besides your usual ketchup/mustard/relish combo.  Their take:  Give your franks some international appeal with these topping combos.

Versions of hot dogs from various country themes are represented.  I’m fairly certain you would never be able to find hot dogs of this type in the countries mentioned, but it’s fun to see the flavor combinations they came up with.  Examples: Greek = tzatziki, cucumber and kalamata olives.  Chinese = wasabi mayonnaise, Asian snack mix and pickled ginger.  American = barbecue sauce, pulled pork and coleslaw.  I’m not sure they all sound super appetizing, but I give them an A+ for creativity.  Read below for what I thought of their Mexican hot dog (featured on the cover)…

Avocado Hot Dogs

Mexican (Avocado) Hot Dog

Yield: 1 serving

Prep Time: 10 min + chill time

Funny, coincidental tidbit... I was in Venice Beach (near Hollywood) several weeks ago at a beachside bar, and I ordered an avocado hot dog on their menu.  It just had avocado and tomato, with mayonnaise as the condiment.

bun
hot dog
chipotle mayonnaise
cotija cheese, crumbled
avocado, chopped

1.  Grill bun and hot dog.
2.  Top with chipotle mayonnaise, cotija cheese and avocado.

*I used Hebrew National Hot Dogs for testing purposes.
*I grilled both the bun and the hot dog.
*If you're not familiar with cotija cheese, it's a round-shaped Latin-American cheese- usually found near the cream cheese in your market.  It crumbles easily with your fingers.
*Wouldn't you think that the magazine would have included "chipotle mayonnaise" in their Condiments insert?  Nope.  Nowhere to found.  I suppose you can purchase that variety of mayo at the store, but I went ahead and made some myself. I mixed 2 Tablespoons of mayonnaise with 1 teaspoon or so of chipotle sauce (from a can of chipotle chiles in adobo).

Source:  Food Network Magazine, June 2011

If you are an avocado lover… you might very well love this hot dog.  I enjoyed the combination a lot.  Cotija Cheese lends a salty element to the hot dog, combined with a tiny bit of spice from the chipotle mayonnaise and the fresh flavor of chunky avocado.  This is how I want to eat my hot dogs from here on out!

Sure!  Hot dogs are pretty much standard fare for summer grilling here in America, and it was fun feature to show the world different ways to dress them up.  And hey, burgers often get featured in the spotlight- loaded with all kinds of stuff- so why not hot dogs for a change?

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/clients/client0/web83/web/wp-content/themes/culinarycovers/single.php on line 72

17 Responses to “Nest Egg”

Sagan — March 10, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

Mmmm I LOVE eggy in a basket! Or nest egg :) I think this recipe has about a dozen different names. I’d forgotten all about it until this post- I always eat a poached egg on toast but this is equally delicious and fun! I also like to add the cut-out circle to the pan along with the other bread and have that, toasted, with a little butter. Yummy!

Maria — March 10, 2010 @ 1:25 pm

Hubs loves these, yes, he is a kid at heart:) Glad you gave it an A-OK:)

Kasey — March 10, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

I’ve always called it ‘egg in a whole.’–my husband loves to make it–esp. when we have homemade bread on hand :) The thick, crusty kind makes the best!

Judy — March 10, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

Have been eating these my whole life. We called them “egg in a nest” or a “toad in a whole” not sure where that one came from…

gina — March 10, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

i love “toad-in-the-hole!” i think it came about as a way to keep the eggs from spreading too much? the bread makes a nice container, similar to the little egg rings they have nowadays.

noble pig — March 10, 2010 @ 3:02 pm

I make these all the time and love them!

LilSis — March 10, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

I started making these when my son was around two years old. I still do make them occasionally. I love them! But, I also LOVE just about any kind of breakfast food. When I saw the cover of Food Network, it made me want to make them again. For some reason, we always called them “toad in the hole.”

Cheryl — March 10, 2010 @ 8:18 pm

When my mother made these she also called them “toad in a hole”. I made them for my girls and they make them for their kids. Fun recipe.

Erin @ One Particular Kitchen — March 10, 2010 @ 9:24 pm

I make this all the time! My mama made them and I still love them. I actually cook both sides of the bread because I can’t handle any hint of runny yolks. So good!

Jenni — March 10, 2010 @ 10:42 pm

I love these! I never had them until I made them as an adult, but I love them. I mix it up a bit and on occasion will scramble the eggs first and add some cinnamon or vanilla to the egg mixture at times as well. This is a fun easy breakfast!

Tracey — March 11, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

I’ve never made this either, but when my issue of FN magazine came in recently it looked so yummy! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Leah — March 11, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

My kids call these “egg-in-a-toast”, or” heart-shaped eggs”; it depends on the cookie cutter I use. :-)

Louise — March 13, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

“Toad in a hole” here too although, I’m not quite sure why. I’ll have to investigate further. I’ve done this French Toast Style. It’s yummy that way too!!! Thanks for sharing, Lori…

Rebecca — March 15, 2010 @ 5:04 am

Humpty Dumpty Eggs! When my mom made this for me as a child, we always used to recite the Humpty-Dumpty- Sat on a Wall nursery rhyme, and when Humpty fell down- I’d break the egg yolk…..

Sue — March 27, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

I blogged about the exact same thing the other day… it’s the only way I can make a fried egg! (Your pic turned out much better than mine… haha).

Great idea for a blog! I love it :)

Richard — March 29, 2010 @ 8:58 pm

Okay well i think to get the yolk to show you need fresher eggs!!

As for toad in the hole i can say with some authority that is a dish of pancake (yorkshire pudding) batter with sausages cooked in.

This confusion is similar but more sever than the one that says shepherds pie is made with beef!!

Sheryl G. — May 17, 2010 @ 11:26 am

I tried this recipe last week – my first “nest” was a little burnt because the pan was too hot. But the ones I did after, turned out perfect. I buttered both sides of the bread before putting it in the pan. May have to try the French Toast style or scramble the egg first – great ideas! I served this with Turkey bacon on the side. Will definitely do this again with my kids. And the holes did not go to waste – I buttered both sides and toasted them for my two year old. She loved them!