Red, White and Blueberry Pops

Cover recipe- Everyday Food, Red, White & Blueberry Pops: July/August 2012

Cover recipe- Everyday Food,           Red, White & Blueberry Pops: July/August 2012

I’m still mourning the loss of Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food magazine. They halted publication of it several months ago, so I’m awfully glad I hung on to a few year’s worth of back copies.  The recipes are my style completely- seasonal, quick and easy, and appealing but simple.  I must say that I usually enjoy the recipes I’ve made from this magazine, and I sure wish they’d bring it back!

The Everyday Food magazine I’m featuring today is 2012’s July/August issue.  Do you remember this festive, cute cover for Red, White and Blueberry Pops?  It’s a seasonal draw for sure.  Everyone likes a good red/white/blue recipe, and this one is completely summery and kid-friendly.  The issue boasts 50+ Easy, Breezy Recipes.  The cover recipe is part of an “Ice Cream Truck Treats” feature that includes fudgsicles, sundae cones and ice cream sandwiches too.  The cover recipe is visually similar to the old ice cream truck treat Bomb Pops (sometimes referred to as “firecrackers” or “rocket pops”).  Read my notes below to see what I thought of this recipe.

Red, White and Blueberry Pops

Red, White and Blueberry Pops

Yield: 6 to 8 popsicles

Prep Time: 30 min + freezing

Perfect for 4th of July as a Patriotic treat. Try making them with other fruits for new flavors and color!

2 cups halved hulled strawberries
6 tablespoons sugar, divided
5 tablespoons lime juice (from 3 limes), divided
1/2 cup full-fat plain yogurt
3 tablespoons heavy cream
2 cups blueberries

1. In a blender, combine strawberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice. Puree, scraping down sides as needed. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids; discard solids. Divide puree among six 4-ounce or eight 3-ounce ice-pop molds. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.

2. Combine yogurt, cream, and 2 tablespoons each sugar and lime juice. Remove molds from freezer and top with yogurt mixture; insert ice-pop sticks. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.

3. In clean blender, puree blueberries, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice. Pour through clean sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids; discard solids. Remove molds from freezer and top with blueberry puree. Freeze until solid, 6 hours more (or up to 1 week). Just before serving, briefly run molds under hot water to release pops.

*Use the sweetest, summery strawberries you can find. If you get "woody" strawberries with a lot of white hull inside, just be sure to cut out the hull.
*I definitely used full fat yogurt and heavy cream for this recipe. I wanted to get the full effect of a rich flavor!
*It's helpful to have a fine sieve instead of just a strainer so you can squeeze out the juice of the berries and leave behind all of the seeds and pulp.
*I thought 30 minutes was too short of a freeze time. I gave each layer at least an hour to get totally frozen (not wanting the colored layers to merge).

Serving size: 1 pop (based on 8)
Calories per serving: 99
Fat per serving: 3g
Saturated Fat per serving: 2g
Fiber per serving: 2g
Protein per serving: 1g
Carbohydrates per serving: 19g

Source: Everyday Food

The recipe was a slightly time-consuming for a popsicle recipe because of the steps involved with mixing the layers and then having to press out the juices from each of the berry layers. I was perfectly okay with that though. They are awfully cute, and they were surprisingly delicious too. The white layer has somewhat of a “cheesecake” flavor to it. The berry layers just tasted sweet and fresh. It was 100% better than any store-bought popsicle I’ve had.  FYI:  I used THIS popsicle mold that I found on Amazon.

Yes- definitely! It’s perfect for a summer issue, and it’s an all-American, all-around fun recipe to share for 4th of July. It would be a fun one to do with the kids so they can see the progression of creating a layered-looking popsicle.

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/clients/client0/web83/web/wp-content/themes/culinarycovers/single.php on line 72

19 Responses to “Basic Pancakes”

Emily @ The Southern Belle Blogs — April 20, 2010 @ 10:17 am

I’ve never made homemade pancakes before, but it is definitely on the top of my list. This recipe looks like a good one to start with and I love that there are even instructions for freezing! My mornings are already so rushed that it would be nice to have something tasty for breakfast.

Thanks for covering this one!

VeggieGirl — April 20, 2010 @ 10:22 am

Can’t beat homemade! Especially with pancakes :)

Teresa — April 20, 2010 @ 10:24 am

Lori, excellent reproduction. I love how you’re capturing the essence of each cover you re-create.

Maria — April 20, 2010 @ 10:28 am

They look like perfect pancakes to me!

Judy — April 20, 2010 @ 10:29 am

Love it Lori! We freeze ours or just refrigerate for a couple of days. The girls heat them up themselves in the toaster. Seems to work fine as well!

Margaret — April 20, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

This is sooo similar to the Betty Crocker recipe I have used for years. Only difference = mine uses 1Tbl sugar and 1/4 tsp salt. Guess there aren’t too many ways to put this batter 2gether. Thanks for the tips about freezing, etc.

Heavenly Housewife — April 20, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

These look stunning. I live in the UK but I sometimes see this magazine at the bookstore. I’m going to be on the lookout for this tomorrow when I’m at the mall.
    Loved your review.
    *kisses* HH

Jessy — April 20, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

Thanks for the tips about freezing pancakes. I’ve never tried doing that before, but it would be nice to have pancakes in the middle of the week, rather than on the weekends only!

kirbie — April 20, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

I love the instructions on freezing and storing mix. I never thought to freeze my pancakes!

Aggie — April 20, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

I love making pancakes from scratch (a couple of years ago not sure I even knew how!)…I always double or triple the recipe and freeze for the kids’ breakfast. They are always asking for pancakes, so much cheaper this way!

ThatsSoYummy — April 21, 2010 @ 7:50 am

Who can really say no to pancakes, they are my favorite!

Yummy!

-Natasha

Paula - bell'alimento — April 21, 2010 @ 7:52 am

We love pancakes in our house. These look beautiful. Nice & fluffy & light! Hubs usually makes them every Saturday, he’s our official pancake maker ; )

Jamie — April 21, 2010 @ 9:22 am

My family loves buttermilk pancakes, and as a mom of two little girls I always make extra to freeze.
    I love what you are doing. I almost always think of you when I am at the check out lane, trying to guess what cover you will feature next.

• Lori Lange replied: — April 21st, 2010 @ 9:29 am

Thanks Jamie! It’s definitely fun to get magazines in the mail. Helps me decide what to make for dinner if the covers look good!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — April 22, 2010 @ 1:21 pm

Looks great… I love pancakes, and I’m always happy to have new recipes to try. Love that this one includes so many tips and variations.

Veronica — April 26, 2010 @ 1:13 am

Wow, what a great coincidece! I just happen to make these exact pancake recipe this morning for my kids. I used the buttermilk variation and they turned out fluffy and delicious. I didn’t have any left overs to freeze. Next time I will make a double batch and freeze the rest. :)

Caroline — April 30, 2010 @ 10:44 am

Thanks for blogging about this recipe!! I have been using Alton Brown’s pancake mix recipe, but I LOVED this recipe this morning. The pancakes were much more fluffy, and the recipe was much less work than Alton Brown’s. This is my new pancake mix! Thanks!

I love your photos!

Sonia — May 4, 2010 @ 4:41 am

OMG! these pancakes looks so fluffy and beautiful! I love pancakes and just had in today morning breakfast. I’ll try yours next time. The notes and tips are awesome. Thanks for sharing them. :)

Renee @ Awesome on $20 — May 15, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

I’m always looking for the perfect pancakes. Nobody makes pancakes like my dad, but he’s half an ocean away. I’ll be giving this recipe a shot.