Strawberry-Pomegranate Sauce

Cover recipe- Fine Cooking, Strawberry-Pomegranate Sauce; June/July 2013

Cover recipe- Fine Cooking, Strawberry-Pomegranate Sauce; June/July 2013

A few weeks ago I was in line waiting to checkout at a home improvement store and happened to pick up the June/July issue of Fine Cooking.  I only had a few minutes to flip through it.  I ended up buying it because of a section devoted to strawberry recipes, including the cover recipe for ice cream sundaes topped with Strawberry-Pomegranate Sauce, mint and pistachios.  I’ve never bought an issue of Fine Cooking before, so I wasn’t as familiar with the magazine or their recipes.  (Shameful, I know, as a foodie.)  I was very happy with my new magazine and set off to recreate the cover recipe to share with you.

This issue also has an article devoted to the secrets for the creamiest homemade ice cream.  I’ll admit that I was a little disappointed that there isn’t a recipe in this issue for the ice cream in the cover picture, or at all in the issue–a travesty!  I ended up making my family’s favorite recipe for homemade strawberry ice cream to use in our sundaes.  Read my notes below to see what I thought of the recipe.
strawberry-pomegranate-sauce-fine-cooking

Strawberry-Pomegranate Sauce

Yield: 2 cups; serves 6-8

Prep Time: 10 min 30 min

Cook Time: 2 min 30 min

Total Time: 12 min 30 min

Pomegranate molasses lends a warm, deep counterpoint to sweet, bright strawberries. Try this sauce over ice cream, garnished with pistachios and mint. It's also delicious on pound cake or waffles.

1 lb. (about 4 cups) fresh strawberries
3 Tablespoons agave nectar
2 Tablespoons pomegranate molasses
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest

Hull strawberries. Place in a blender or food processor with agave, pomegranate molasses, lemon juice and zest. Blend until smooth, 15 to 30 seconds. Season to taste with more agave if you like.

Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Serve chilled or at room temperature

*I used honey instead of agave.

*Pomegranate molasses can be found in Asian and Middle Eastern markets, and some well-stocked large grocery stores.

*If you don't like mint, you could use basil instead and it would be just as fantastic.

Source: Fine Cooking, June/July 2013

This sauce is amazing! It was hard to believe that such a simple sauce could be so good. I have always been a fan of pomegranate molasses, so it’s not surprising that I loved this recipe. I loved the complexity of flavors going on in the sundae. The sauce is incredible, as I said, but pairing it with pistachios and fresh mint made it truly amazing. Even my husband kept remarking afterwards how good it was.  The other great thing?  It comes together in a few minutes in the blender.  I love that.  Be prepared to be eating it by the spoonful.  Who needs ice cream anyway? :)

I think so. The section on strawberries was really fun to read. So many new recipes to try! And this recipe for the Strawberry-Pomegranate Sauce was truly unique and I will definitely be making it again and again this summer.  (But I’m still bummed that there wasn’t an ice cream recipe to go along with it!) :)

Lindsey Johnson writes the food blog, Cafe Johnsonia, and she works as a freelance recipe developer and photographer. She is the mother to three beautiful, fun children and resides in Utah. She became gluten-free in 2010 and has enjoyed the learning process that comes along with gluten-free baking and cooking. When she's not in the kitchen or behind the camera, she enjoys gardening, reading, being outside, and spending time with her husband and children.

26 Responses to “Bourbon-Caramel Pumpkin Tart”

Tieghan — October 7, 2013 @ 5:46 am

Holy Moly this is such an incredible tart! The bourbon, chocolate and pumpkin combo is so my thing. Plus, it is gorgeous! Perfect for Thanksgiving!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — October 7, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

It looks so pretty on top of sounding delicious.

Michelle — October 7, 2013 @ 5:34 pm

I’m pretty sure I’ll make this in November too!

Renee @ Awesome on $20 — October 7, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

I’d leave off the pumpkin seeds, just because they don’t float my boat. Switch that over to toffee bits, and it sounds like heaven. I love boozy desserts.

Faith — October 9, 2013 @ 5:26 am

I am so smitten by this isn’t not even funny. Everything about it is calling my name!

Joanne Eats Well With Others | Bourbon-Caramel Pumpkin Tart — October 10, 2013 @ 4:34 am

[…] find your eyes bugging out of your head at just the thought of such a thing, then head on over to Culinary Covers for my post and the […]

Heather @ Sugar Dish Me — October 10, 2013 @ 5:56 am

Caramel recipes that call for butter make me nervous– I have flubbed them up one too many times! BUT. I think you have convinced me and also my sister will love me forever if I make her this. I had no idea you all formed this blog! What a super idea! 5 gold stars and a handful of chocolate chips.

Abbie @ Needs Salt — October 10, 2013 @ 6:52 am

Wow, this tart is outstanding! You did such a gorgeous job with this, Joanne! Simply fabulous.
    Pinned!

Dan from Platter Talk — October 10, 2013 @ 7:24 am

Beautifully done! I’ll have another slice, please!

Jessie — October 10, 2013 @ 8:22 am

I will take the WHOLE tart, thanks :)

Ruthy @ Omeletta — October 10, 2013 @ 10:48 am

Ahh– so THIS is the pepita topping deliciousness!! I can’t get over how good that sounds. Yes to every pumpkin flavor imaginable this year, I can’t wait to check this issue out.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — October 10, 2013 @ 11:59 am

My eyes definitely bugged out when I saw this! It looks so good!

Meg — October 10, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

This looks absolutely amazing! The cornmeal crust definitely calls to me.

Veronica — October 10, 2013 @ 4:23 pm

Wow, what an awesome combo with the cornmeal crust and the bourbon caramel with the pumpkin. To die for!

Reeni — October 10, 2013 @ 6:54 pm

I had to come over so I could drool some more! This would be perfect for Thanksgiving! Or this weekend. . .

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking — October 10, 2013 @ 7:17 pm

Oh my goodness this pie looks amazing!!

Tracey — October 10, 2013 @ 7:58 pm

It’s such a gorgeous tart and the fact that it combines so many awesome ingredients just makes me want it even more!

Dawn @ Valley Computer Solutions. — October 10, 2013 @ 8:03 pm

This looks like the perfect dessert for the fall season. I loved the candied pumpkin seeds.

Kelster — October 11, 2013 @ 1:36 am

Hey
    you’re missing a unit measurement for the cream cheese.

suzie waclawski — October 11, 2013 @ 9:28 am

I am not sure how much cream cheese goes into this 4-8oz or just 4oz

• Joanne Bruno replied: — October 11th, 2013 @ 9:36 am

So sorry about that!! I updated it – it should read 4 oz.

Bev Sonmor — October 12, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

I am so disappointed in my bourbon caramel pumpkin tart. I just finished making it for tomorrow’s thanksgiving dinner, I’m having 8 for dinner and am ashamed to have to serve it. The caramel topping took at least twice as long to come to the right thickness, and the amount was so pitiful, I would need to at least double it to get coverage for the top. I used the 1/3 cup amount for the bottom, and was shocked to see the Pitiful amount left for the topping. I will have to serve it as is. I swirled what was there and it’s pretty awful! This is the first recipe that has not lived up to your reputation; I’ve been receiving your magazine for about 4years and always look forward to making at least one recipe, which always turns out, until now! Sincerely Bev sonmor

• Joanne Bruno replied: — October 13th, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

Hi Bev! I’m so sorry you had so much trouble with the caramel!! Just to clarify, we are just a recipe review site and have no affiliation with Fine Cooking at all whatsoever and did not actually have any part in the recipe writing ourselves. That being said, caramel can be tricky to make and I generally fail 9 times out of 10, even with a good recipe. It’s always hard to interpret how thick is the “right thickness” since it does thicken as it cools. In the end, I had about 1 cup of caramel after all the reducing and thickening so maybe aim for that next time?

Amy B — October 13, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

thanks so much for reviewing this. That magazine jumped off into my cart as well for the same reason. I was planning on making it for Thanksgiving and am glad to hear that it is as delicious as it looks

Foodiewife — October 19, 2013 @ 11:20 pm

I subscribe to the digital version of Fine Cooking, and when I saw this gorgeous tart I decided I wanted to make it. You beat me to it. Great job, and I’m glad to know it’s worth every fat gram. I don’t care. Pumpkin and caramel…be still my heart.

Stuff I've Gotta Share and You've Gotta See | Recipe Girl — October 22, 2013 @ 8:14 am

[…] is what’s been happening on my other blog- Culinary Covers- the last 2 weeks! >> Bourbon- Caramel Pumpkin Tart (I’m thinking this is a “Thanksgiving dessert” possibility) Payday Peanut […]