Bacon Wrapped Corn On The Cob

Food Network Magazine July 2013

Cover recipe – Food Network Magazine
, Bacon Wrapped Corn: July 2013

There’s one thing that I’m constantly seeking inspiration for, and that’s side dishes. It’s so easy to get stuck in a rut fixing the same sides over and over again. So to spice things up a little I like browsing through magazines like the Food Network Magazine, to gain ideas on how I can liven up our usual side dish fare.

While checking out at the grocery store the other day, my attention was grabbed by this month’s issue of the Food Network Magazine. Three scrumptious looking ears of fresh corn called my name, specifically the center ear that was wrapped in thick crunchy bacon strips. Of course the Buffalo Blue Cheese and Manchego Smoked Paprika versions sounded equally as delicious.

I’m a full believer, however, that bacon can make just about anything better. So to test my theory out I picked up the issue, grabbed a package of bacon and some fresh corn on the cob, and went home to sample some Bacon Wrapped Corn. Read my notes below to see what I thought of this recipe.

Bacon Wrapped Corn

Bacon Wrapped Corn On The Cob

Yield: 4 ears

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 30 mins

Total Time: 40 mins

4 ears of fresh corn
6 slices bacon
fresh cracked pepper, to taste

1. Peel back the corn husks, remove silk strings and rinse corn under cold water.
2. Wrap 2 pieces of bacon around each ear of corn.
3. Grill the corn over medium-high heat, turning once, for about 15-30 minutes or until bacon is cooked crisp.

The original recipe says to wrap each ear of corn with foil, but I found this made the bacon soggy and didn't allow it to cook crisply. So I removed the foil and just allowed the corn to cook openly on the grill until the bacon was cooked to my desired crispness.

Source: Food Network Magazine

With some minor tweaks to the cooking method the corn turned out really well. The recipe originally called for wrapping the ears of corn in foil, but I found the bacon wasn’t cooking crisply enough. So I removed the foil and just allowed the corn to cook openly on the grill until the bacon was cooked to my desired crispness. This took about an extra 15 minutes than the original 15 cooking time suggested in the recipe. The corn came out with a really delicious smoky flavor from the bacon, and while the bacon didn’t stay prettily wrapped around the corn while eating it, it still gave a nice flavor addition to each bite.

I would definitely serve this variation of corn on the cobb to company! With just a minor tweak to the cooking method it produced a really delicious side dish that will have you wanting more than just one. Plus, the crisp bacon layer makes for a really nice presentation!

Amber is the food blogger and recipe developer behind Sprinkled With Flour, where she shares her fresh and easy recipes with a focus on from-scratch cooking. She's all about getting back to making food with real ingredients, while keeping it easy and delicious. Amber's grandfather was a baker, and you'll see from her recipes that she has a true love for dessert. I guess you could say baking is in her genes!

12 Responses to “Shrimp with Snow Peas and Edamame”

VeggieGirl — February 18, 2010 @ 8:23 am

Love Food Network magazine! :)

Michelle — February 18, 2010 @ 8:23 am

I got a Food Network Magazine subscription for Hanukkah and I’ve really been enjoying it! Their recipes are so easy to make and look so vibrant! I’m loving this dish and can’t wait to try it out myself!

Margaret — February 18, 2010 @ 8:26 am

Been looking at that one myself. Glad to hear it is a good one. Looks beautiful.

Katie — February 18, 2010 @ 8:38 am

I’m always amazed that your photos consistently look better than the magazines’ photos! This looks delicious!

Deborah Mele — February 18, 2010 @ 8:45 am

Thanks Lori! I just bought this magazine and was wondering how that cover recipe would work out. Nice to know it is worth trying!

Tracey — February 18, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

This recipe caught my eye when my issue of Food Network magazine came this month. Thanks for testing it out – I’ll definitely make it soon!

Phoo-D — February 18, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

This sounds terrific! I purchased a package of snow peas on a whim and have been wondering what to make with them. I love the idea of a shrimp and edamame stir fry.

David A. — February 18, 2010 @ 2:16 pm

Hey Lori, thanks for turning us on to this recipe. We at Seapoint Farms distribute edamame across the country and always love reading about how people are using it to cook!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — February 18, 2010 @ 8:11 pm

I rarely read Food Network magazine, but this does look like a great dish. Love your picture… it’s beautiful!

LilSis — February 18, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

I wanted to make this recipe right when I saw the cover! It’s good to know that it’s worth making even if it’s not as quick and easy as they suggest.

Your photo is awesome! IMHO, better than Food Network’s photo!

ppark — February 20, 2010 @ 9:20 am

I bought the magazine earlier this week, and I tried this recipe also. I am not sure that I would call it “quick” either, because you have to marinate the protein for 1 hour. To me, quick is something I can have ready 30 minutes after I walk in the door. That being said, I put the protein in the marinade, and only marinated long enough to assemble/chop the rest of the ingredients, and that took about 30 minutes. It turned out well, and I am looking forward to trying some more combos. The best part to me was the sauce ideas.

Maria — February 23, 2010 @ 11:45 am

I love the colors in this dish!