Bacon Wrapped Corn On The Cob

Food Network Magazine July 2013

Cover recipe – Food Network Magazine
, Bacon Wrapped Corn: July 2013

There’s one thing that I’m constantly seeking inspiration for, and that’s side dishes. It’s so easy to get stuck in a rut fixing the same sides over and over again. So to spice things up a little I like browsing through magazines like the Food Network Magazine, to gain ideas on how I can liven up our usual side dish fare.

While checking out at the grocery store the other day, my attention was grabbed by this month’s issue of the Food Network Magazine. Three scrumptious looking ears of fresh corn called my name, specifically the center ear that was wrapped in thick crunchy bacon strips. Of course the Buffalo Blue Cheese and Manchego Smoked Paprika versions sounded equally as delicious.

I’m a full believer, however, that bacon can make just about anything better. So to test my theory out I picked up the issue, grabbed a package of bacon and some fresh corn on the cob, and went home to sample some Bacon Wrapped Corn. Read my notes below to see what I thought of this recipe.

Bacon Wrapped Corn

Bacon Wrapped Corn On The Cob

Yield: 4 ears

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 30 mins

Total Time: 40 mins

4 ears of fresh corn
6 slices bacon
fresh cracked pepper, to taste

1. Peel back the corn husks, remove silk strings and rinse corn under cold water.
2. Wrap 2 pieces of bacon around each ear of corn.
3. Grill the corn over medium-high heat, turning once, for about 15-30 minutes or until bacon is cooked crisp.

The original recipe says to wrap each ear of corn with foil, but I found this made the bacon soggy and didn't allow it to cook crisply. So I removed the foil and just allowed the corn to cook openly on the grill until the bacon was cooked to my desired crispness.

Source: Food Network Magazine

With some minor tweaks to the cooking method the corn turned out really well. The recipe originally called for wrapping the ears of corn in foil, but I found the bacon wasn’t cooking crisply enough. So I removed the foil and just allowed the corn to cook openly on the grill until the bacon was cooked to my desired crispness. This took about an extra 15 minutes than the original 15 cooking time suggested in the recipe. The corn came out with a really delicious smoky flavor from the bacon, and while the bacon didn’t stay prettily wrapped around the corn while eating it, it still gave a nice flavor addition to each bite.

I would definitely serve this variation of corn on the cobb to company! With just a minor tweak to the cooking method it produced a really delicious side dish that will have you wanting more than just one. Plus, the crisp bacon layer makes for a really nice presentation!

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/clients/client0/web83/web/wp-content/themes/culinarycovers/single.php on line 72

17 Responses to “Nest Egg”

Sagan — March 10, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

Mmmm I LOVE eggy in a basket! Or nest egg :) I think this recipe has about a dozen different names. I’d forgotten all about it until this post- I always eat a poached egg on toast but this is equally delicious and fun! I also like to add the cut-out circle to the pan along with the other bread and have that, toasted, with a little butter. Yummy!

Maria — March 10, 2010 @ 1:25 pm

Hubs loves these, yes, he is a kid at heart:) Glad you gave it an A-OK:)

Kasey — March 10, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

I’ve always called it ‘egg in a whole.’–my husband loves to make it–esp. when we have homemade bread on hand :) The thick, crusty kind makes the best!

Judy — March 10, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

Have been eating these my whole life. We called them “egg in a nest” or a “toad in a whole” not sure where that one came from…

gina — March 10, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

i love “toad-in-the-hole!” i think it came about as a way to keep the eggs from spreading too much? the bread makes a nice container, similar to the little egg rings they have nowadays.

noble pig — March 10, 2010 @ 3:02 pm

I make these all the time and love them!

LilSis — March 10, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

I started making these when my son was around two years old. I still do make them occasionally. I love them! But, I also LOVE just about any kind of breakfast food. When I saw the cover of Food Network, it made me want to make them again. For some reason, we always called them “toad in the hole.”

Cheryl — March 10, 2010 @ 8:18 pm

When my mother made these she also called them “toad in a hole”. I made them for my girls and they make them for their kids. Fun recipe.

Erin @ One Particular Kitchen — March 10, 2010 @ 9:24 pm

I make this all the time! My mama made them and I still love them. I actually cook both sides of the bread because I can’t handle any hint of runny yolks. So good!

Jenni — March 10, 2010 @ 10:42 pm

I love these! I never had them until I made them as an adult, but I love them. I mix it up a bit and on occasion will scramble the eggs first and add some cinnamon or vanilla to the egg mixture at times as well. This is a fun easy breakfast!

Tracey — March 11, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

I’ve never made this either, but when my issue of FN magazine came in recently it looked so yummy! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Leah — March 11, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

My kids call these “egg-in-a-toast”, or” heart-shaped eggs”; it depends on the cookie cutter I use. :-)

Louise — March 13, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

“Toad in a hole” here too although, I’m not quite sure why. I’ll have to investigate further. I’ve done this French Toast Style. It’s yummy that way too!!! Thanks for sharing, Lori…

Rebecca — March 15, 2010 @ 5:04 am

Humpty Dumpty Eggs! When my mom made this for me as a child, we always used to recite the Humpty-Dumpty- Sat on a Wall nursery rhyme, and when Humpty fell down- I’d break the egg yolk…..

Sue — March 27, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

I blogged about the exact same thing the other day… it’s the only way I can make a fried egg! (Your pic turned out much better than mine… haha).

Great idea for a blog! I love it :)

Richard — March 29, 2010 @ 8:58 pm

Okay well i think to get the yolk to show you need fresher eggs!!

As for toad in the hole i can say with some authority that is a dish of pancake (yorkshire pudding) batter with sausages cooked in.

This confusion is similar but more sever than the one that says shepherds pie is made with beef!!

Sheryl G. — May 17, 2010 @ 11:26 am

I tried this recipe last week – my first “nest” was a little burnt because the pan was too hot. But the ones I did after, turned out perfect. I buttered both sides of the bread before putting it in the pan. May have to try the French Toast style or scramble the egg first – great ideas! I served this with Turkey bacon on the side. Will definitely do this again with my kids. And the holes did not go to waste – I buttered both sides and toasted them for my two year old. She loved them!