Spaghetti with Parsley Pesto

Cover recipe- Bon Appetit, Spaghetti with Parsley Pesto: June 2013

Cover recipe- Bon Appetit, Spaghetti with Parsley Pesto: June 2013

In this full-blooded Italian girl’s mind, pesto is summer. Even in the coldest of cold winter nights, one bite of a spaghetti strand slicked with it’s herbaceous flavor makes me feel like I’m sitting poolside, a margarita by my side, carefree and sun-kissed. To date I’ve tried it in many incarnations – I’ve switched up the pricey pine nut for the more affordable pistachios, walnuts, almonds and pecans; left out the cheese all-together; and served it over potatoes instead of pasta – but the one constant has always been the basil. It’s what makes pesto pesto, after all. And dispensable it most certainly is not.

The cover of the June 2013 issue of Bon Appetit boasted a recipe for spaghetti with parsley pesto with all the bright flavors of it’s basil counterpart, but more affordable, sturdier (in that it’s not limited to a single season), and greener. With declarations that bold I knew I had to give it a try. Read my notes below to see what I thought of this recipe.

spaghetti with parsley pesto

Spaghetti with Parsley Pesto

Yield: 6 servings

Total Time: 30 min

1 pound spaghetti
Kosher salt
1/2 cup unsalted, roasted almonds
4 cups (packed) fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
3/4 cup chopped fresh chives
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain, reserving 2 cups pasta cooking liquid.
2. Meanwhile, pulse almonds in a food processor until smooth. Add parsley, chives, oil, and Parmesan; process until smooth. Season pesto with salt and pepper.
3. Toss pasta and pesto in a large bowl, adding pasta cooking liquid by 1/4-cupfuls until saucy. Season with salt and pepper.

*Almost any nut can be substituted for the almonds so feel free to use what you have on hand!

*To make ahead, cover the surface directly after cooking and chilled. Can be made up to 5 days ahead of time.

Serving size: 1/6 recipe
Calories per serving: 650
Fat per serving: 39g
Saturated Fat per serving: 7g
Sugar per serving: 4
Sodium per serving: 260mg
Fiber per serving: 4g
Protein per serving: 17g
Cholesterol per serving: 10mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 59g

Source:

Bon Appetit

While this pesto wasn’t exactly the green sauce that I know and love, I really enjoyed that it tasted more “herby” than traditional pesto. The lemony flavor of the parsley really shone through, so if you’re not a fan of food that actually tastes “green” (as my boyfriend isn’t) then I would steer clear of this. I, however, am a fan and was perfectly happy to keep the leftovers all to myself. I doubt that this will ever replace classic pesto in my heart (or taste buds) but it’s definitely a great alternative if you’re looking for something a bit different to infuse into your summer.

Pesto is such a huge summer favorite, so I can definitely see why this made the cover. Everyone is looking for that “next best twist” on it so they can stand out when they serve it at their next summer fiesta. Personally, I thought it delivered on flavor and definitely think it deserved the summer spotlight.

Joanne Bruno is a vegetable and cupcake-loving MD/PhD student living NYC. She's the voice behind the blog Eats Well With Others. JoAnne combines her passion for food with a love of exercise and runs endurance events while raising money to fight cancer. She is also snarky with a penchant for hyperbole...so take everything she says with a grain of salt.

23 Responses to “Lime & Blackberry Italian Meringue Pie”

Tieghan — August 5, 2013 @ 8:01 am

Wow, that meringue looks perfect!! This whole pie looks perfect. Just wow!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — August 5, 2013 @ 12:18 pm

I have this issue of BA and always wanted to make the pie! It looks gorgeous!

Joanne Eats Well With Others | Lime & Blackberry Italian Meringue Pie — August 6, 2013 @ 5:46 am

[…] If you’re looking for a pie that will make you stop dead in your tracks, jaw agape, and just say “WOW”. Then this is it. Check out my post about it over at Culinary Covers! […]

Candice — August 6, 2013 @ 7:06 am

Why isn’t it always blackberry season? I’ve never seen a pie like this but I can just imagine someone bringing it out after dinner and my heart bursting.

Dawn — August 6, 2013 @ 7:26 am

In the recipe for the blackberry wine reduction… it reads a fruity red wine… Would that be like a sangria??? I just don’t want to start this pie and reduce down a wine that may give off the wrong flavor… I ask only because we are adding more sugar and the blackberries on top of the reduced fruity red wine…I realize that this is a sweet component to counteract the tart lime curd. thank you

• Joanne Bruno replied: — August 6th, 2013 @ 7:29 am

Hi Dawn! I used a cabernet sauvignon but a shiraz might be nice also! I wouldn’t use sangria itself because it does have added sugar.

sandra — August 6, 2013 @ 7:29 am

Fabulous treat. And so inspiring.

Dawn — August 6, 2013 @ 7:45 am

Thank you so much. I thought sangria may be too sweet, but because it was being used in a sweet application – it kinda thru me. I agree Shiraz would be nice with the blackberries. Thank you for clearing that up. The fruity description kinda implies a sweeter wine – to me. Love your blog. I read it all the time

Dan from Platter Talk — August 6, 2013 @ 8:21 am

What a knockout dessert/treat t his is! It’s always good to find more recipes that use blackberries, especially this time of year – it’s their time to shine! Great post!

Lynn — August 6, 2013 @ 10:01 am

I wish I could snap my fingers and a slice of that would magically appear. It looks delicious.

Faith — August 6, 2013 @ 10:21 am

I am so happy you made this! I’ve been dying to ever since I saw it a couple years ago! It’s absolutely gorgeous…and some things (especially desserts ;) ) are definitely worth the extra work. This is a real show-stopper!

Zainab @ Blahnik Baker — August 6, 2013 @ 10:26 am

This is STUNNING!!

Lindsey Johnson — August 6, 2013 @ 11:51 am

I’ve had this bookmarked since then too! Looks fabulous, Joanne! I just need to go pick some fresh blackberries. They’re finally in season where I live.

Jennifer | Bake or Break — August 6, 2013 @ 12:14 pm

This is absolutely gorgeous!

Ashley — August 6, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

This is definitely one gorgeous pie – good to know it’s worth the effort!

Anne ~ Uni Homemaker — August 6, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

That is beautiful Joanne. Everything about this screams perfection! Well done!

Beth — August 6, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

Truly inspiring, Joanne. It does sound like a lot of work … but what a labour of love.

debbie — August 6, 2013 @ 3:27 pm

This is definitely a stop in your tracks kind of pie. One of the most delicious looking that I have ever seen!!! Just fabulous Joanne!!!

Tracey — August 6, 2013 @ 6:28 pm

Serious, such a gorgeous pie, Joanne!! The combination of flavors sounds heavenly, and definitely a fabulous reward for a day spent in the kitchen :)

Suzie — August 6, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

This sounds amazing Joanne!!

gloria — August 7, 2013 @ 10:46 am

this is to di for !! Love bon appetit too, I haven’t this issue:(
    love this Joanne!

Karen — August 7, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

My mouth is puckering just thinking about this pie. Beautiful!

Betty — August 7, 2013 @ 10:43 pm

Picking blackberries tomorrow! Don’t know if I’ll have time to make this masterpiece or not, but I sure do want to. :)