Spaghetti with Parsley Pesto

Cover recipe- Bon Appetit, Spaghetti with Parsley Pesto: June 2013

Cover recipe- Bon Appetit, Spaghetti with Parsley Pesto: June 2013

In this full-blooded Italian girl’s mind, pesto is summer. Even in the coldest of cold winter nights, one bite of a spaghetti strand slicked with it’s herbaceous flavor makes me feel like I’m sitting poolside, a margarita by my side, carefree and sun-kissed. To date I’ve tried it in many incarnations – I’ve switched up the pricey pine nut for the more affordable pistachios, walnuts, almonds and pecans; left out the cheese all-together; and served it over potatoes instead of pasta – but the one constant has always been the basil. It’s what makes pesto pesto, after all. And dispensable it most certainly is not.

The cover of the June 2013 issue of Bon Appetit boasted a recipe for spaghetti with parsley pesto with all the bright flavors of it’s basil counterpart, but more affordable, sturdier (in that it’s not limited to a single season), and greener. With declarations that bold I knew I had to give it a try. Read my notes below to see what I thought of this recipe.

spaghetti with parsley pesto

Spaghetti with Parsley Pesto

Yield: 6 servings

Total Time: 30 min

1 pound spaghetti
Kosher salt
1/2 cup unsalted, roasted almonds
4 cups (packed) fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
3/4 cup chopped fresh chives
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain, reserving 2 cups pasta cooking liquid.
2. Meanwhile, pulse almonds in a food processor until smooth. Add parsley, chives, oil, and Parmesan; process until smooth. Season pesto with salt and pepper.
3. Toss pasta and pesto in a large bowl, adding pasta cooking liquid by 1/4-cupfuls until saucy. Season with salt and pepper.

*Almost any nut can be substituted for the almonds so feel free to use what you have on hand!

*To make ahead, cover the surface directly after cooking and chilled. Can be made up to 5 days ahead of time.

Serving size: 1/6 recipe
Calories per serving: 650
Fat per serving: 39g
Saturated Fat per serving: 7g
Sugar per serving: 4
Sodium per serving: 260mg
Fiber per serving: 4g
Protein per serving: 17g
Cholesterol per serving: 10mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 59g

Source:

Bon Appetit

While this pesto wasn’t exactly the green sauce that I know and love, I really enjoyed that it tasted more “herby” than traditional pesto. The lemony flavor of the parsley really shone through, so if you’re not a fan of food that actually tastes “green” (as my boyfriend isn’t) then I would steer clear of this. I, however, am a fan and was perfectly happy to keep the leftovers all to myself. I doubt that this will ever replace classic pesto in my heart (or taste buds) but it’s definitely a great alternative if you’re looking for something a bit different to infuse into your summer.

Pesto is such a huge summer favorite, so I can definitely see why this made the cover. Everyone is looking for that “next best twist” on it so they can stand out when they serve it at their next summer fiesta. Personally, I thought it delivered on flavor and definitely think it deserved the summer spotlight.

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/clients/client0/web83/web/wp-content/themes/culinarycovers/single.php on line 72

12 Responses to “Blackberry Farm Griddle Cakes”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 2, 2013 @ 5:05 am

I am a subscriber as well and when I saw those pancakes I was SO EXCITED to try them…til I read the recipe and b/c I don’t have to be GF, I took a pass b/c it seemed like a lot of trouble and possibly pan-stickage, as can happen with rice flours, etc. Thanks for the honest review!

sara — May 2, 2013 @ 1:28 pm

These are really pretty, and glad to see your recommendation of how to make them less fragile! They look really yummy…I am also a huge buckwheat and cornmeal fan…they both make great pancakes and so cool to see them combined into one recipe!

Lindsey Johnson // Cafe Johnsonia — May 2, 2013 @ 5:44 pm

I made these again this morning for breakfast and tweaked them a bit more! I ended up using the following for the dry ingredients:

3/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
    2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
    1/3 cup brown rice flour
    1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. buckwheat flour
    1/4 cup tapioca starch
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

They turned out even better than the other times. Hooray for multigrain pancakes! I’ve missed them. :)

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — May 3, 2013 @ 7:53 am

So glad you made these! I’ve been intrigued ever since I received that copy of BA. But I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go to the trouble with the flours (since I’m not GF and don’t have brown rice flour on hand). BUT they sounded like they would taste great. Love your recommendations.

I’ve heard wonderful things about Blackberry Farm, so it was neat seeing them highlighted on the cover.

Haley Williams — May 3, 2013 @ 10:14 am

Blackberry Farm also sells their gluten free pancake mix, so that might be an easier way to get the flours and mix of ingredients!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — May 4, 2013 @ 9:09 am

I’m actually excited about the variation that you posted in the comments! My mom is Gluten-Free, and I know she misses good pancakes. I’ll have to try your version for her!

Joanne — May 9, 2013 @ 10:12 am

It seems like Bon Appetit should hire you for gluten-free recipe testing! I can’t wait to try your take on them.

Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — May 19, 2013 @ 2:55 pm

Wow, you had such a beautiful photo for Cook The Cover! I also really loved the flavor of these pancakes. I didn’t have much trouble with them sticking to my nonstick griddle. However, I only had 3/4 of the gluten-free flours, and I don’t eat GF, so I substituted AP flour for the oat flour. Maybe that helped with the not sticking part?

marla — August 19, 2013 @ 5:45 am

These look great to me …. even with a bit of stick!

Susan Frost — August 19, 2013 @ 5:53 am

I love these pancakes. I have made them twice now and have not had trouble with them sticking or crumbling at all. Not sure what the difference is but the as-is recipe worked great for me. They are awesome and in fact, I’ve just gotten a couple out of the freezer to heat for breakfast with some fresh blueberry sauce! Can’t wait!

TJ — January 5, 2014 @ 12:40 pm

The recipe converted pretty well to no-egg/no-dairy (I’m cooking for multiple allergies). I used soy milk + 2 T vinegar and chia seed egg, and added a teaspoon of psyllium instead of the xanthan gum.
    Gotta say–this is a pretty robust recipe to put up with all these modifications!

TJ — January 5, 2014 @ 1:12 pm

Also, re: sticking: These seemed to need a bit cooler pan than wheat pancakes. My stuck badly at first but held together when I turned the heat lower.