Spaghetti with Parsley Pesto

Cover recipe- Bon Appetit, Spaghetti with Parsley Pesto: June 2013

Cover recipe- Bon Appetit, Spaghetti with Parsley Pesto: June 2013

In this full-blooded Italian girl’s mind, pesto is summer. Even in the coldest of cold winter nights, one bite of a spaghetti strand slicked with it’s herbaceous flavor makes me feel like I’m sitting poolside, a margarita by my side, carefree and sun-kissed. To date I’ve tried it in many incarnations – I’ve switched up the pricey pine nut for the more affordable pistachios, walnuts, almonds and pecans; left out the cheese all-together; and served it over potatoes instead of pasta – but the one constant has always been the basil. It’s what makes pesto pesto, after all. And dispensable it most certainly is not.

The cover of the June 2013 issue of Bon Appetit boasted a recipe for spaghetti with parsley pesto with all the bright flavors of it’s basil counterpart, but more affordable, sturdier (in that it’s not limited to a single season), and greener. With declarations that bold I knew I had to give it a try. Read my notes below to see what I thought of this recipe.

spaghetti with parsley pesto

Spaghetti with Parsley Pesto

Yield: 6 servings

Total Time: 30 min

1 pound spaghetti
Kosher salt
1/2 cup unsalted, roasted almonds
4 cups (packed) fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
3/4 cup chopped fresh chives
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain, reserving 2 cups pasta cooking liquid.
2. Meanwhile, pulse almonds in a food processor until smooth. Add parsley, chives, oil, and Parmesan; process until smooth. Season pesto with salt and pepper.
3. Toss pasta and pesto in a large bowl, adding pasta cooking liquid by 1/4-cupfuls until saucy. Season with salt and pepper.

*Almost any nut can be substituted for the almonds so feel free to use what you have on hand!

*To make ahead, cover the surface directly after cooking and chilled. Can be made up to 5 days ahead of time.

Serving size: 1/6 recipe
Calories per serving: 650
Fat per serving: 39g
Saturated Fat per serving: 7g
Sugar per serving: 4
Sodium per serving: 260mg
Fiber per serving: 4g
Protein per serving: 17g
Cholesterol per serving: 10mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 59g

Source:

Bon Appetit

While this pesto wasn’t exactly the green sauce that I know and love, I really enjoyed that it tasted more “herby” than traditional pesto. The lemony flavor of the parsley really shone through, so if you’re not a fan of food that actually tastes “green” (as my boyfriend isn’t) then I would steer clear of this. I, however, am a fan and was perfectly happy to keep the leftovers all to myself. I doubt that this will ever replace classic pesto in my heart (or taste buds) but it’s definitely a great alternative if you’re looking for something a bit different to infuse into your summer.

Pesto is such a huge summer favorite, so I can definitely see why this made the cover. Everyone is looking for that “next best twist” on it so they can stand out when they serve it at their next summer fiesta. Personally, I thought it delivered on flavor and definitely think it deserved the summer spotlight.

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/clients/client0/web83/web/wp-content/themes/culinarycovers/single.php on line 72

18 Responses to “Grilled Turkey Burgers with Cheddar and Smoky Aioli”

Dragon — May 26, 2010 @ 10:35 am

Want! Great job Lori!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 26, 2010 @ 10:36 am

i’m glad you tried this recipe out…i have the mag, and never tried this one before! i LOOOOOOOVE burgers :)

Angie — May 26, 2010 @ 10:48 am

This burger looks great! I am buying alot of ground turkey lately. But I still haven’t made burgers with it. Made spaghetti and turkey meatballs last night. I will definitely try this recipe

Cheri — May 26, 2010 @ 12:15 pm

This looks so good Lori! I’ve got to try it soon.

I’m always amazed at your ability to replicate the magazine photo. Good work! ;)

Krista — May 26, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

Great job, Lori! :-) The veggies are such a marvy addition, and I really like adding the aioli to the meat. Delish!

Natalie @ Perrys' Plate — May 26, 2010 @ 3:48 pm

Gorgeous shot of that burger!!! I tried this burger last year when the mag came out and loved it as well :)

Elizabeth — May 27, 2010 @ 8:01 am

I’m embarrassed to ask, but what is aioli – is it the mayo, olive oil, lemon juice and spices?

• Lori Lange replied: — May 27th, 2010 @ 9:29 am

You’re exactly right… it’s the mayo-based sauce :)

Katrina — May 27, 2010 @ 9:57 am

Mmm, this one really does look and sound great! Aioli is dangerous for me. There’s one at Carrabba’s Grill served with their zucchini frites that I could almost just spoon in my mouth! ;)
    This looks like MY kind of burger.

ThatsSoYummy — May 27, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

How funny… I was just saying to myself I might make them this weekend… Love it!

-Natasha

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — May 28, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

Looks like a great burger! Yum :)

Louise — May 29, 2010 @ 4:39 am

That’s one good looking burger, Lori! I must add this link to the post I did for National Hamburger Day (28th:) So glad I didn’t miss it! Have a GREAT weekend!!!

grace — May 31, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

i couldn’t pass through without complimenting your burger. it looks even better than the one in the no doubt heavily-stylized magazine picture–bravo!

Sues — May 31, 2010 @ 8:17 pm

I’ve loved that cover ever since I got the issue too… But your burger? You take it to a whole new level!! Yours actually made me drool :)

• Lori Lange replied: — May 31st, 2010 @ 8:26 pm

Wow, thanks!!

Karen — June 21, 2010 @ 3:51 pm

We’re glad to hear you enjoy cooking these burgers, Lori. I’ve posted a link to your article over on the original recipe. http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/quick-recipes/2009/08/grilled_turkey_burgers_with_cheddar_and_smoky_aioli

best,
    Karen Wilson
    producer, bonappetit.com

gourmetgreg — July 13, 2010 @ 3:18 pm

I saw this recipe and will try it for an upcoming party which includes turkey burger sliders on the menu as this recipe includes many of the spices and concepts I have been using in my own “ultimate” turkey burger recipe. I add the following: finely chopped half of a large red or sweet Vidalia onion, half cup breadcrumbs, half cup grated parmesan and 1/2 cup cubed cheese (I use parmesan) and a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce (in honor of Rachel Ray). This way, there is no need to top with melted cheese or sliced onion and the melted cheese cubes add a surprise smile to the face of the guest. I assume you use the remaining aioli, not used in the meat mixture, as a condiment?

• Lori Lange replied: — July 20th, 2010 @ 10:26 am

I love your modification ideas! Yes, the aioli may be used as a condiment to the burger. Delicious!