Tomato Ravioli

Cooking Light - Tomato Ravioli: August 2013

Cooking LightTomato Ravioli: August 2013

With the end of summer on the horizon, how I spend my free time inevitably becomes centered around the task of soaking up as much sun and beautiful weather as possible so that I have some memories to grasp on to in the depths of February when I feel like the we’re probably going to have 600 more weeks of winter rather than 8. More time outside means less time inside. Which, for those of us who live in an apartment the size of a shoebox and thus don’t own a grill, necessitates less time in the kitchen. But a girl still has to eat!

You can imagine my excitement, then, when I received the August issue of Cooking Light that boasted oodles of easy, 5-ingredient main courses within it’s pages, including the cover recipe for Tomato Ravioliwhich, with roasted tomatoes and fresh basil, looked pretty summer perfect. I jumped at the first opportunity to get it on my dinner table. Read my notes below to see what I thought of this recipe.

tomato ravioli

Tomato Ravioli

Yield: 4 servings

1 pound cherry tomatoes
2 shallots, cut into wedges
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
12 ounces cheese ravioli
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

1. Preheat the oven to 425.
2. Halve half of the cherry tomatoes. Arrange all of the tomatoes and the shallot wedges on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, in a single layer. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss to combine. Bake at 425 for 25-35 minutes, until starting to brown.
3. Whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss with the tomatoes and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, cook ravioli according to package directions in salted water. Drain ravioli, reserving 1/4 cup of cooking water. Toss the ravioli with the tomatoes, adding the cooking liquid if needing to make more of a sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish with the basil.

*Since the ingredients in this recipe really are pretty minimal, make sure you use good quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar to get the best flavor possible.
*I used mini ravioli, which made this feel more like a pasta salad to me, but feel free to use any size you like!

Serving size: 1/4 of the recipe
Calories per serving: 406
Fat per serving: 18.7g
Saturated Fat per serving: 6.3g
Sodium per serving: 572mg
Fiber per serving: 3.9g
Protein per serving: 13.4g
Cholesterol per serving: 49mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 47.8g

Source: Cooking Light

This pasta salad was definitely a great weeknight staple. It came together in under an hour, most of which was hands off, and with the juicy sweet flavor of roasted tomatoes and the bright fresh basil, it tasted just like summer is supposed to. That being said, it didn’t really wow me. While I felt it was a good solid recipe that I will probably make again being that it is easy and pretty healthy, there are a ton of recipes out there that combine pasta, roasted tomatoes, and basil, and I didn’t feel like this brought anything original to the table.

Everyone is looking for a quick, easy, and tasty pasta salad recipes to serve during the summer months and, being that this delivers on all those fronts, I would say that it deserves the cover spotlight.

16 Responses to “Herbed Cheese Pizza”

VeggieGirl — October 26, 2009 @ 5:21 am

Atypical and fabulous! :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 26, 2009 @ 7:42 am

I have that copy of Cooking Light, and I have been thinking about making the pizza. Thanks for testing it out for me. Yours looks absolutely gorgeous!

Barbara Bakes — October 26, 2009 @ 8:33 am

I could fall in love with light pizza!

Louise — October 26, 2009 @ 9:40 am

This pizza recipe would have been just perfect for the pizza party! I’m really liking your new blog Lori. Very cool…

Aggie — October 26, 2009 @ 12:27 pm

Mouthwatering…I loved this on the cover when I got my mag. I’m such a sucker for pizza…
    I like the newer layout of CL too, seems like they are packing it with a ton of great recipes! And it’s cleaner and more organized. Great pick for you to review! Am really enjoying your new blog! :)

Terri Archibald — October 26, 2009 @ 1:29 pm

I’m very happy with the recent changes made by Cooking Light also. It is one of the magazines that I get very excited to see in the mailbox! Regarding the pizza recipe, I’m very excited to try it. I’m all about the crust. Thanks for checking it out for all of us!

wasabi prime — October 26, 2009 @ 1:58 pm

This looks so delicious! Again, great helpful commentary about the recipe and tips for substitutions. I never have everything a recipe calls for and I usually forget to shop for it!

Phoo-D — October 26, 2009 @ 2:35 pm

This looks terrific. I’ll have to scout out that Greek cheese- I’ve never heard of it before!

Katie @ goodLife {eats} — October 26, 2009 @ 2:39 pm

Yum! That looks really good. I’ve been enjoying the new Cooking Light as well and this cover definitely caught my eye when I received this issue.

France — October 26, 2009 @ 4:35 pm

Your photo should be on the cover of a magazine. This pizza looks so good.

CookiePie — October 26, 2009 @ 5:27 pm

Love this! Gorgeous photo, and I love that you tried freezing the dough. And I totally agree about the changes to CL – great magazine!

jo — October 27, 2009 @ 6:57 pm

Oh wow – I can already smell pizza in the air. This looks absolutely yummy and would love to have a slice.

NJ — October 28, 2009 @ 11:15 am

I recently found and subscribed to your blog. I love the concept and am enjoying the posts. Your photo inspires me to try the pizza more than theirs did. Looking forward to more recipes and pictures.

Sues — October 28, 2009 @ 11:47 am

Your pizza looks prettier than the one on the cover! I love a good “light” pizza :)

Jill — October 28, 2009 @ 9:12 pm

This is such a great concept for a blog. Loved the spider cake and this pizza looks DELICIOUS and even better than the cover. I’m not sure if it would have caught my attention, but after seeing yours and reading an information post, I think I’ll have to try it too. :)

Bethany — November 6, 2009 @ 3:30 pm