Tomato Ravioli

Cooking Light - Tomato Ravioli: August 2013

Cooking LightTomato Ravioli: August 2013

With the end of summer on the horizon, how I spend my free time inevitably becomes centered around the task of soaking up as much sun and beautiful weather as possible so that I have some memories to grasp on to in the depths of February when I feel like the we’re probably going to have 600 more weeks of winter rather than 8. More time outside means less time inside. Which, for those of us who live in an apartment the size of a shoebox and thus don’t own a grill, necessitates less time in the kitchen. But a girl still has to eat!

You can imagine my excitement, then, when I received the August issue of Cooking Light that boasted oodles of easy, 5-ingredient main courses within it’s pages, including the cover recipe for Tomato Ravioliwhich, with roasted tomatoes and fresh basil, looked pretty summer perfect. I jumped at the first opportunity to get it on my dinner table. Read my notes below to see what I thought of this recipe.

tomato ravioli

Tomato Ravioli

Yield: 4 servings

1 pound cherry tomatoes
2 shallots, cut into wedges
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
12 ounces cheese ravioli
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

1. Preheat the oven to 425.
2. Halve half of the cherry tomatoes. Arrange all of the tomatoes and the shallot wedges on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, in a single layer. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss to combine. Bake at 425 for 25-35 minutes, until starting to brown.
3. Whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss with the tomatoes and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, cook ravioli according to package directions in salted water. Drain ravioli, reserving 1/4 cup of cooking water. Toss the ravioli with the tomatoes, adding the cooking liquid if needing to make more of a sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish with the basil.

*Since the ingredients in this recipe really are pretty minimal, make sure you use good quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar to get the best flavor possible.
*I used mini ravioli, which made this feel more like a pasta salad to me, but feel free to use any size you like!

Serving size: 1/4 of the recipe
Calories per serving: 406
Fat per serving: 18.7g
Saturated Fat per serving: 6.3g
Sodium per serving: 572mg
Fiber per serving: 3.9g
Protein per serving: 13.4g
Cholesterol per serving: 49mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 47.8g

Source: Cooking Light

This pasta salad was definitely a great weeknight staple. It came together in under an hour, most of which was hands off, and with the juicy sweet flavor of roasted tomatoes and the bright fresh basil, it tasted just like summer is supposed to. That being said, it didn’t really wow me. While I felt it was a good solid recipe that I will probably make again being that it is easy and pretty healthy, there are a ton of recipes out there that combine pasta, roasted tomatoes, and basil, and I didn’t feel like this brought anything original to the table.

Everyone is looking for a quick, easy, and tasty pasta salad recipes to serve during the summer months and, being that this delivers on all those fronts, I would say that it deserves the cover spotlight.

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/clients/client0/web83/web/wp-content/themes/culinarycovers/single.php on line 72

17 Responses to “Chocolate- Mint Bars”

Tracey — March 10, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

I love the chocolate/mint combo so these look fantastic to me! Even better that it’s a CL recipe :)

Cookin' Canuck — March 11, 2011 @ 9:09 am

These sounds like a wonderful, lightened-up treat to indulge in. Perfect for St. Paddy’s Day.

A Bowl Of Mush — March 11, 2011 @ 9:32 am

Ooh I want one now! Yum!!

Jenny Flake — March 11, 2011 @ 9:35 am

That last photo is so gorgeous! making me want a mint bar asap!!

Sandra Simmons — March 11, 2011 @ 9:48 am

THANK YOU for posting the WW points! I would love to make this but 7 is steep and would just multiply since I would probably eat the whole pan!

Tracy — March 11, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Perfect for St. Patty’s Day! Yum!

Laurel — March 11, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

These look so delicious, and pretty! We’re featuring all things GREEN this week on the M&T Spotlight and I’d love for you to submit this. http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

Evan Thomas — March 12, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

Yum! I would hope for a fudgier brownie but even so these sound terrific. I made a recipe similar to this back in January. Dare I say they were my favorite brownies ever?

Brian @ A Thought For Food — March 12, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

One of my favorite things that my mom makes is a chocolate mint bar… that’s exactly like this.

I just read your note that said that they’re good cold… YES! We always kept them in the freezer. It’s so much better that way.

bridget {bake at 350} — March 12, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

Oh, I’m so craving chocolate and mint right now. Have something planned for next week, but it’s not light….and it SHOULD be; I’m *trying* to be good! ;) Darn those WW points!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Lori!

Barbara | VinoLuciStyle — March 12, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

I’ve been making a non light version of these for holiday gift baskets for yeasr. I’m anxious to try these and see the difference.

One thing; that top layer used to be a problem until I started using a warm knife. Dip your knife into very hot water before slicing the squares, it should help to keep it from cracking without having to let the dessert warm up.

grace — March 13, 2011 @ 12:09 am

bliss. yes, these are perfect for good ol’ st patty’s day, but they’re more than welcome in my belly any day. :)

anjali — March 14, 2011 @ 12:02 am

These look so delicious! I have a feeling I’ll be making these someday soon.

Jeannie — March 17, 2011 @ 10:29 am

looks so good! I am so drooling !

Heather — April 17, 2011 @ 10:29 am

Made this yesterday and I must say it’s delish!!!!!! Cannot stop eating this and I still need to bring it to my moms for Sunday dinner!!

WEndy Moor — December 17, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

THESE ARE SO GOOD. My sister made them last year. Couldn’t believe they were “light.” So glad I found this recipe :)

Pat Kachold — December 20, 2013 @ 10:17 pm

I call them Frango Mint Bars. They are one of my must bake Christmas bars.
    I’ve been making these for at least 20 years. Don’t remember where the recipe came from but they are a seasonal favorite of mine. I do make them on special occasions When asked. Everyone should have this recipe in their recipe box.
    Yummy