Brunch Cinnamon Rolls

Cover recipe: Taste of Home Recipe Card Collection, Brunch Cinnamon Rolls: Fall 2013

I’m a sucker for any kind of pastry dessert. Especially breads that involve a gooey brown sugar cinnamon filling and are drizzled with maple glaze. So when I passed the fall issue of the Taste of Home Recipe Card Collection, I was immediately drawn in. I love these issues because they are filled with pages of recipe index cards displaying so many delicious recipes that I know I have to try. These meals are the simple comfort foods that your whole family will love, like hearty casseroles, fresh-baked breads, comforting soups, and they really help to keep the meal rotation fresh.

This fall issue has a wonderfully delicious looking cover filled with these Brunch Cinnamon Rolls. Since I love cinnamon rolls it wasn’t hard to convince me to try them, but after getting the issue home and reading through the recipe again, I realized there was no yeast used in these rolls. I’ve been looking for a good yeast free cinnamon roll recipe, so I was excited to try them but a little skeptical that they could live up their yeasty counterpart. Did they live up to expectations? Read my notes below to see what I thought of this recipe.

Brunch Cinnamon Rolls

2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Maple Glaze
2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. In a food processor, combine the first five ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; cover and pulse until mixture forms a soft dough.

2. Transfer to a lightly floured surface; knead 4-5 times. Roll into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Brush butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine the pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices. Place cut side down in a greased 9-in. round baking pan.

3. Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over rolls. Serve warm.

This recipe was really easy to throw together, but I did find the dough was a little finicky to work with since it was soft. You can add a little extra flour if you find your dough is too sticky. Don't worry if your rolls seem too loose, they will puff up while baking and turn out just fine.

Source: Taste of Home

These rolls really surprised me. Really. I expected the dough to be dense and heavy but they turned out a light, fluffy, biscuit-like cinnamon bun. I really loved the easy food processor prep for the dough, and without having to wait for rising time these rolls were in the oven baking in no time at all.

As I said I was skeptical about this one, but the results speak for themselves. They were light, fluffy and moist and filled with a crunchy  brown sugar pecan filling that was really good. The maple glaze was a nice addition but a regular glaze would be wonderful too. While a good yeasted cinnamon rolls will always have a soft spot in my heart, these rolls are really great for a quick breakfast roll to serve to company without the hassle of all the prep work.

Amber is the food blogger and recipe developer behind Sprinkled With Flour, where she shares her fresh and easy recipes with a focus on from-scratch cooking. She's all about getting back to making food with real ingredients, while keeping it easy and delicious. Amber's grandfather was a baker, and you'll see from her recipes that she has a true love for dessert. I guess you could say baking is in her genes!

16 Responses to “Deluxe Pumpkin Cheesecake”

VeggieGirl — November 5, 2009 @ 6:02 am

OOOOOH love the garnish the best :-D

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is — November 5, 2009 @ 9:01 am

This blog is such a fab idea, Lori! And this creation looks mouth-watering. :)

BethieofVA — November 5, 2009 @ 9:10 am

Yum, it looks very similar to one I made for Halloween that was delish.

Laura — November 5, 2009 @ 10:13 am

I am glad to see you made this. I have that mag and wondered about that recipe. I am not a fan of pumpkin pie, but can totally do pumpkin cheesecake.

LilSis — November 5, 2009 @ 10:40 am

I love the addition of the pumpkin and the gingersnap crust! This is one beautiful slice of cheesecake. I love it plated on top of the chocolate and the caramel sauce just puts this over the top!

I really like the new blog!

Jennifer — November 5, 2009 @ 11:39 am

Yum! This dessert is a pumpkin fanatic’s dream come true.

lisaiscooking — November 5, 2009 @ 12:29 pm

I’m a big fan of pumpkin cheesecake, and the gingersnap crust with pecans sounds fantastic!

Nancy — November 5, 2009 @ 6:32 pm

Mmmmmm…pumpkin….cheesecake…Pumpkin Cheesecake! I think I’ll have to add this to the dessert list for this year.

Bethany — November 5, 2009 @ 9:39 pm

That looks delicious!!

Margaret — November 5, 2009 @ 10:26 pm

Love Pumpkin Cheescake. Will have to try this recipe. Sounds delicious.

Elizabeth — November 5, 2009 @ 11:03 pm

Mmm, I love pumpkin cheesecake, although I usually do a chocolate crust..this sounds great! I always do a water bath with cheesecakes, and yet they still crack, I wonder what is is I’m doing wrong? I’ve even done the cracking of the door and leaving it in the oven with it turned off for an hour thing, still cracks!

Just one more thing: The funniest thing to me, about pumpkin cheesecake, is it’s something I ate the night before and morning I went into labour. I couldn’t keep my hands off it…maybe it has magical powers!

Michelle {Brown Eyed Baker} — November 8, 2009 @ 6:45 pm

Mmmm I too am a huge cheesecake fan and have never had pumpkin cheesecake. This post just pushed me over the edge!

Debi — November 18, 2009 @ 3:53 pm

I made this cheesecake when I got the issue. Saw the cover and just HAD to make it. My family absolutely LOVED it. I will be making it again for Thanksgiving instead of the old pumpkin pie that just doesn’t get ate. My family is tired of the same pie every year. You must try this. I thought it was a lot of work and I made a complete mess out of my kitchen but I am looking forward to sharing this when my family comes to Thanksgiving dinner this next Thursday. Thanks for the great recipe!

Jeng — December 2, 2009 @ 10:51 pm

This is a very good recipe. I kind of modified the base and the spices a little bit and it turned out really good. I made dried apple caramel sauce for this and it doesn’t really complement with the cheesecake. I tried apple sauce instead and found a perfect marriage for this cheesecake!
    Very Very Good!!!!!

Deb — November 22, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

I fixed this last year at Thanksgiving. It is delicious!
    Thank you for posting the recipe as I can’t find mine.

Daniel — November 23, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

When I first found this I took a picture with my camera phone so I could make it. It was a hit that Thanksgiving and has been ever since. A wonderful desert, thank you very much for posting it!