Fettuccine Alfredo with Bacon

April 2014, Fettuccine Alfredo with Bacon

Cover recipe- Cooking Light:          Fettuccine Alfredo with Bacon,          April 2014

If there is one dish that I splurge on whenever I think my thighs can handle it, it’s Fettuccine Alfredo. I was very happy to see that the cover of Cooking Light’s special issue: Best Ever Slim-Down Recipes– has a slimmed down version of this dish:  Fettuccine Alfredo with Bacon.  The issue features indulgent main dishes that are mostly under 350 calories.  This is the best magazine issue ever as far as I’m concerned!

Cooking Light magazine’s tagline is Life Lived Deliciously– celebrating great food and a healthy lifestyle.  But they also acknowledge that people have a need to eat what they want to eat.  They suggest eating delicious recipes in reasonable portions and pairing them with one or two sides and salads.  Then you get a satisfying meal and you don’t feel like you’ve deprived yourself of anything.  None of the recipes in this issue are considered “diet food.”  They’re Cooking Light classics that taste good, fill you up, and keep calories within respectable limits.  I’m excited to try the Honey-Wheat Pizza with Pear-Prosciutto Salad, Steak House Side Mac and Cheese, Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes, Garlic- Roasted Kale and Orange-Cranberry Pork Stew.  Read my notes below to see what I thought of the cover recipe.

Fettuccine Alfredo with Bacon

Fettuccine Alfredo with Bacon

Yield: 4 servings (1 cup per serving)

1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated fresh fettuccine
2 slices applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup 1% low-fat milk
2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
2. While pasta cooks, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings. Add garlic to drippings in pan; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Sprinkle flour over garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly; cook 2 minutes or until bubbly and slightly thick, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low. Gradually add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in salt and reserved 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Add hot pasta to pan; toss well to combine. Sprinkle with bacon, parsley, and pepper.

Note:
When you're short on time and the ingredient list is short, make every ingredient the freshest and best you can find. A real wood-smoked bacon imparts lots of flavor: Applewood is mild and slightly sweet, while hardwood, such as hickory, is more assertive.

Serving size: 1 cup
Calories per serving: 339
Fat per serving: 11.7g
Saturated Fat per serving: 5g
Sodium per serving: 833mg
Fiber per serving: 2g
Protein per serving: 7.3g
Cholesterol per serving: 22mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 38.4g

WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: Old Points Program:

Source:  Cooking Light

It’s really tough to feed four people with one 9-ounce package of fettuccine, BUT… you have to keep in mind the vibe of the magazine, which is to eat a small portion of a really great dish and serve it up with sides to fill you up. So if you’ve got that mindset, this dish is fabulous. My whole family loved it. Truth be told, I doubled the recipe because I knew my boys would want a large serving!

Definitely, yes! It was a terrific, lighter version of Fettuccine Alfredo.

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/clients/client0/web83/web/wp-content/themes/culinarycovers/single.php on line 72

17 Responses to “Chocolate- Mint Bars”

Tracey — March 10, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

I love the chocolate/mint combo so these look fantastic to me! Even better that it’s a CL recipe :)

Cookin' Canuck — March 11, 2011 @ 9:09 am

These sounds like a wonderful, lightened-up treat to indulge in. Perfect for St. Paddy’s Day.

A Bowl Of Mush — March 11, 2011 @ 9:32 am

Ooh I want one now! Yum!!

Jenny Flake — March 11, 2011 @ 9:35 am

That last photo is so gorgeous! making me want a mint bar asap!!

Sandra Simmons — March 11, 2011 @ 9:48 am

THANK YOU for posting the WW points! I would love to make this but 7 is steep and would just multiply since I would probably eat the whole pan!

Tracy — March 11, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Perfect for St. Patty’s Day! Yum!

Laurel — March 11, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

These look so delicious, and pretty! We’re featuring all things GREEN this week on the M&T Spotlight and I’d love for you to submit this. http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

Evan Thomas — March 12, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

Yum! I would hope for a fudgier brownie but even so these sound terrific. I made a recipe similar to this back in January. Dare I say they were my favorite brownies ever?

Brian @ A Thought For Food — March 12, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

One of my favorite things that my mom makes is a chocolate mint bar… that’s exactly like this.

I just read your note that said that they’re good cold… YES! We always kept them in the freezer. It’s so much better that way.

bridget {bake at 350} — March 12, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

Oh, I’m so craving chocolate and mint right now. Have something planned for next week, but it’s not light….and it SHOULD be; I’m *trying* to be good! ;) Darn those WW points!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Lori!

Barbara | VinoLuciStyle — March 12, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

I’ve been making a non light version of these for holiday gift baskets for yeasr. I’m anxious to try these and see the difference.

One thing; that top layer used to be a problem until I started using a warm knife. Dip your knife into very hot water before slicing the squares, it should help to keep it from cracking without having to let the dessert warm up.

grace — March 13, 2011 @ 12:09 am

bliss. yes, these are perfect for good ol’ st patty’s day, but they’re more than welcome in my belly any day. :)

anjali — March 14, 2011 @ 12:02 am

These look so delicious! I have a feeling I’ll be making these someday soon.

Jeannie — March 17, 2011 @ 10:29 am

looks so good! I am so drooling !

Heather — April 17, 2011 @ 10:29 am

Made this yesterday and I must say it’s delish!!!!!! Cannot stop eating this and I still need to bring it to my moms for Sunday dinner!!

WEndy Moor — December 17, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

THESE ARE SO GOOD. My sister made them last year. Couldn’t believe they were “light.” So glad I found this recipe :)

Pat Kachold — December 20, 2013 @ 10:17 pm

I call them Frango Mint Bars. They are one of my must bake Christmas bars.
    I’ve been making these for at least 20 years. Don’t remember where the recipe came from but they are a seasonal favorite of mine. I do make them on special occasions When asked. Everyone should have this recipe in their recipe box.
    Yummy